Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 8.8 Compatibility with ISE

mandpand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI ,

We need to upgrade our WLC to 8.8 as we are proposing AP4800 to customer . Customer has ISE 2.2 and would upgrade to 2.4 or higher as required.  Can some one recommend the correct version of ISE that would be required for upgrade.

WLC under consideration is 5520.

Regards

Mandar Pandit.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The release of ise doesn’t need to change as the functionality is all the same

Granted 2.4 is our new recommendation long term

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/does-ise-support-my-network-access-device/ta-p/3650231

Barring any bugs in the wlc then everything should be fine

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-                  Following table comes from the 8.8 release notes :

Interoperability with Other Clients

This section describes the interoperability of controller software with other client devices.

The following table describes the configuration used for testing the client devices.

Table 6. Test Bed Configuration for InteroperabilityHardware or Software ParameterHardware or Software Configuration Type

Release

8.8.x.

Cisco Wireless Controller

Cisco 5520 Wireless Controller

Access Points

AIR-CAP3802E-B-K9, AIR-AP1852E-B-K9

Radio

802.11ac, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz)

Security

Open, PSK (WPA-TKIP-WPA2-AES), 802.1X (WPA-TKIP-WPA2-AES) (EAP-FAST, EAP-TLS)

RADIUS

Cisco ACS 5.3, Cisco ISE 2.2, Cisco ISE 2.3

Types of tests

Connectivity, traffic (ICMP), and roaming between two APs

The following table lists the client types on which the tests were conducted. Client types included laptops, handheld dev

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Correct these are tested version. Not every release is tested together but should work per does use support my
Network access device post

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The release of ise doesn’t need to change as the functionality is all the same

Granted 2.4 is our new recommendation long term

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/does-ise-support-my-network-access-device/ta-p/3650231

Barring any bugs in the wlc then everything should be fine

- I once had a discussion with an engineer of DImension Data about this who also argued 'radius is radius' ; why should you upgrade ISE ? To be on the safe side I recommend that at least the ISE version which was used in the test bed (table) should be used.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

ISE recommendation currently is 2.4 but 2.2 is fine as well. This is overall stability with the product, not specific for interoperability with WLC.
https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-blogs/announcing-the-quot-suggested-release-quot-status-of-ise-2-4/ba-p/3775587