Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 IOS Upgrade

lopema2013
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have 2 3850's in environment that have the IOS  in Bundle mode. I need to upgrade them to the next code version in Install mode. I am wanting to verify whether or not I need to convert the existing version to Install, reload then upgrade to the next code version following the steps to upgrade in Install mode.

Thank You,

Marty

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

all of our 3k 36s and 38s use bundle mode , if there in bundle mode it will be just as easy load up the new bin files set the boot and reload rather than going to install mode, ive tested install mode and found it more awkward sometimes than bundle but suppose its a personal choice
The extra consumption in bundle i believe ram etc is only while the upgrade is occurring

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@lopema2013 wrote:

I have 2 3850's in environment that have the IOS  in Bundle mode. I need to upgrade them to the next code version in Install mode.

Why Install Mode?  What's so special about it? 

When booting in Install Mode note that the boot-up time is LONGER and the stack will use up more memory than Bundle Mode.  This is the reason why it is recommended to use Bundle Mode instead of Install Mode.

Based on what I have read at the link below it says the opposite is true.  I am wanting to verify the steps to upgrade. I am starting to think that I will have to convert then upgrade. The reload time is a lot longer when upgrading but I can set up a maintenance window to cover me.

https://content.cisco.com/chapter.sjs?uri=/searchable/chapter/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/Denali_16-1/ConfigExamples_Technotes/Config_Examples/Misc/qos/m_install_vs_bundle.html.xml

Information About Install Mode Versus Bundle Mode

Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches have two modes of operation, Install and Bundle. Two or more switches must be in the same boot mode to form a switch stack.

The Install mode is the recommended mode for booting a switch.

Install Mode

The Install mode uses a package-provisioning file named packages.conf in order to boot a switch. In addition, there are a number of .pkg files in the flash drive. We recommend that you do not alter the packages.conf and .pkg files unless directed by a Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) engineer.

Bundle Mode

The Bundle mode uses monolithic Cisco IOS images to boot a switch. The Bundle mode consumes more memory than the Install mode because the packages are extracted from the bundle and copied to RAM.

all of our 3k 36s and 38s use bundle mode , if there in bundle mode it will be just as easy load up the new bin files set the boot and reload rather than going to install mode, ive tested install mode and found it more awkward sometimes than bundle but suppose its a personal choice
The extra consumption in bundle i believe ram etc is only while the upgrade is occurring

Thanks guys. I have found either mode to work, I just did not know if there was a best practice out there.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card