cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9200 switches excessively verbose on port up

Noora
Level 1
Level 1

I have multiple 9200 switches in my network, and when a port becomes active there are 4-6 lines of input about this event. Is there a way to reduce this input so it does not clog up my logging information? At first I thought it was a single port on a single switch, as it is linked to a motion detection camera, but it seems to be every port on every 9200 switch.

Here's an example from a printer having data sent to it for printing.

Jan 14 15:50:36.014: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up
Jan 14 15:50:38.022: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up
Jan 14 15:50:41.931: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to down
Jan 14 15:50:42.941: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to down
Jan 14 15:50:47.538: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up
Jan 14 15:50:49.551: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Try this:

!
int range Gi1/0/1-48
  no logging event link-status 
!

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Try this:

!
int range Gi1/0/1-48
  no logging event link-status 
!

cheers,

Seb.

Thank you so much Seb!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I never disable those ports down/up logs because they keep the "health" of the network safe.  

The switch is a Catalyst 9k.  That means IOS-XE.  One of the biggest flaw with IOS-XE is memory leaks and CPU spiking.  One type of switch "events" that will cause an un-recoverable memory leak is when a port flaps (port goes down and up) non-stop.  

This event is extremely common, especially with switches on IOS-XE, and, I will guarantee if left un-checked, can cause switch members to crash.  

Port flappings with classic IOS is a non-event.  Nothing goes wrong, not even STP (HULC, Red Earth or Red Earth Mana process). 

And finally, ports going down and up is a regular thing.  With logs disabled, it is extremely difficult to determine why a particular client is not "working right" without the help of the logs.  And because of this, I never disable this particular event log -- And I have been assisted so many of times.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card