cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Analyzing protocol capture

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

I am troubleshooting an application response problem through a FWSM using WireShark, but I'm having trouble analyzing some of the data.

I did a traffic capture between a client and the server behind the FWSM

Using Wireshark, I open the capture and try to filter the streams using tcp.stream eq 1-6

I then start going through the packets to see what is going on. However, it seems that I cannot find the complete conversation. I can get the first four frames (SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK, and a TCP segment), but after that, it seems there are other conversations within the stream, and I cannot locate the next packt by using sequence number, etc. (unless I want to go through thousands of packets manually).

Is there a simplier way to do this? Looking at the TCP Stream option within Wireshark is no help: it does not use timestamps, and simply starts at the first packet captured--I need to look at specific conversations).

Any advice would be great

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Filter the wireshark display to show only traffic to/from the client IP. e.g.:

ip.addr==

in the Wireshark display filter.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Filter the wireshark display to show only traffic to/from the client IP. e.g.:

ip.addr==

in the Wireshark display filter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: