cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: CiscoWorks Prime LAN Management Solution - Implementation, Configuration, and Troubleshooting

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

CiscoWorks Prime LAN Management Solution: Implementation, Configuration, and TroubleshootingWith Vinod Arya

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about the design, configuration, and troubleshooting of CiscoWorks Prime LAN Management Solution with Cisco expert Vinod Arya. He can cover questions about Cisco Prime LMS, including initial portal login and use of the Getting Started workflow to configure the server. He will also demonstrate how to explore and customize the dashboards in My Menu, manage portlets, and change the portal layout.

This is a continuation of the live webcast.

Vinod Arya is a High Touch Technical Support (HTTS) engineer in Cisco’s Focused Technical Support (FTS) organization working on Network Management System (NMS) products and technologies. His current focus is on planning and implementing Network Management Infrastructure(s). His areas of expertise also include NMS products and technologies such as the CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution (LMS), Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), IP, Service-Level Agreements (SLAs), Cisco Prime Provisioning, Cisco Network Registrar, and many others. He has more than 7 years of experience in IT. Prior to joining Cisco’s HTTS NMS team, Arya worked for Convergys India Pvt Ltd managing and optimizing the Optus Broadband Network. From there he joined HCL Technologies, working with its local switching team before moving on to the Network Management Team. He was also part of its Technical Assistance Center (TAC). Arya holds a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology from Kumanun University in Nainital, India, and a MBA in Information Technology from Sikkim Manipal University in Bangalore, India. He holds several Cisco Certifications, including CCNA® and VCP 5.0..

Webcast related links:

53 Replies 53

jlinkowsky
Level 4
Level 4

When is it going to be easier to upgrade PI?  Currently the upgrade is 100% command line, and takes no less then 3 hours to complete.  The main issue is that during this upgrade process, there are many times where there is no status provided, and the cursor just sits at the command prompt, as if something was 'frozen' and/or stopped.  There is no status bar, with % completed, etc.  Make it difficult and scary to do an upgrade of this application.

I brought this topic up at Cisco Live in Orlando a few months back, and many of the people in the room had the same issue, and complaint.  It's very frustraiting.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Hello John.

Thanks for your time on CSC Ask The Expert.

This is one of the most important feature CPI Development team is working at, but there have been some

technical challanges which restrict it for now. I dont see it in CPI 2.0 which is expected to almost release in a few days.

As th constant endeavor is to make CPI the next generation NMS application, this feature is in pipeline to

be delivered, but no fix dates announced yet.

Please stay tuned for more details, we'll update shortly.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

-Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

luisdhernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Vinod,

Our customer has LMS 4.2.3 and we are trying to monitor/manage a Catalyst 4500 switch (WS-C4510R+E with software ver 03.04.00.SG) in Virtual Switching Mode but we can not use ciscoview, RMON, get inventory reports or other features of LMS for this device.. I have reviewed the supported device table for LMS 4.2 but i could not see something about Catalyst 4500 in VSS mode (just for 6500 series).. so my questions are:

Is the catalyst C4510R+E in VSS mode supported by LMS 4.2?

If not, is there a release date when LMS will support this device in VSS mode?

I will appreciate if you can give me some information about this,

and thanks for your answer to my last question.. it was very helpful...

Thank you, Luis

Hello Luis,

Thanks for your time on CSC Ask the Expert.

Cat4K VSS devices(including 4510R+E switch) are already supported in CiscoView.

But there is one deice side bug which needs to be checked.

Seems your IOS is also affected with CSCug88448, which sends incorrect OID.

The system obeject id for all VSS devices should be 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1732 (not

device specific like 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1287) The system obeject id for all VSS devices should be 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1732 (not device specific like 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1287).

If device is not sending correct sysObjectID, try to manually configure it for correct one. You can do it from :

Inventory > Device Administration > Add / Import / Manage Devices

See screenshot :

After this please check if you have latest Cat4000IOS package installed(i.e, 26.0) for CiscoView.

-Thanks

Vinod      

robynwhackett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am very new to this. I recently sent the below information to Cisco and they sent me a link to get help. I was wondering if you are able at all to help with this problem. Thanking you in advance.

regards

Robyn

Description of the problem:

(I have had to constantly restart my Cisco to  keep it running through the days. I cannot access wireless further than 10  metres and have been told an update will help? I have been trying for the past 4  hours to find where to update, but no luck . Could someone please help me.
I  was talked into purchasing this Cisco SRP527W ( by Telstra). last year and it died within 2  months , a new one was issued this year. For the high price of the router I  thought it would be a superior model to the netgear, or bigpond, so I am hoping  I can be helped.
with regards
Robyn)

Hello Robyn,

Thanks for your time on CSC Ask the Expert.

I apologize, but it seems your question is on wrong forum, as this discussion is intended spcecifically for Cisco Prime LMS, which is Cisco's Enterprise level Network Management Application.

Your issue is related to Cisco SRP527W which seems to be Cisco Small Business offering product.

I am sure if you move your discussion to CSC Small Business Router Forum, our experts on SRP500 Series can help you.

-Thanks

Vinod

CSCO12130174
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Vinod,

im quite new to cisco prime NMS, i wanted to ask as to why is that when i tried to enter the licensing onto the prime via web browser it gives out this message 'UDI of file does not match systems'. please advise

thank you, Zhafri.

Hello Jasper/Zhafri,

Thanks for your time on CSC Ask The Expert.

Cisco Prime Infrastucture licenses are locked to a specific Cisco Prime Infrastructure instance based on a unique device identifier (UDI) for a physical appliance or a virtual unique device identifier (VUDI) for a virtual appliance. The identifier can be found within the Cisco Prime Infrastucture user interface under Administration > Licenses. Also if you are using the command-line interface (CLI) on the physical appliance you can use the show udi command. The identifier consists of two parts: the product ID and the serial number. When you claim a Cisco Prime Infrastructure license you will be requested to supply the product ID and serial number for your Cisco Prime Infrastructure instance.

Licenses can be rehosted if required. Please contact licensing@cisco.com.

-Thanks

Vinod

swDev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

We are trying to automate IOS upgrades. We can copy over the new IOS and reload the devices with SNMP, however we haven't been able to find a solution to replace the install commands. Are there SNMP alternative for these 2 install commands (I see these are available via RESTConf): 

- install remove inactive

- install add file flash:file_name.bin activate commit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card