cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS - LMS with Cisco experts Svetlana Radzevich and Geert Cober

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to install, maintain, operate and troubleshoot CiscoWorks LAN Management solution with Cisco experts Svetlana Radzevich and Geert Cober. Svetlana has been a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in the Network Management team for five years. She holds a bachelor's degree in computer science from Tomsk Polytechnical University, Russia, and a master's degree in computer science from Saarland University, Germany. Geert is also a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center. He currently works in the Network Management team, supporting customers on the Cisco LAN Management Solution (LMS), Cisco Unified Operations Manager, Cisco Network Analysis Module, Simple Network Management Protocol, and Cisco IOS IP Service Level Agreements technology. He has 10 years experience in troubleshooting Cisco LMS and has delivered multiple sessions on deploying and troubleshooting Cisco LMS at Cisco Live.

Remember to use the rating system to let   know if you have received an adequate response.

Geert and Svetlana might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Management discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through April 8, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

95 Replies 95

Hi Syed,

This 'Ask the experts" event is for LMS only. For any CUOM questions you can use the Network Management discussions or open a TAC case.

Geert

jmartrusj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two questions about LMS 4.0:

1.- When I try to generate a Ports with multiple MAC Report, the system do not permit choose any device (I do not know if this is correc). When I click submit, the report is generated but no ports with multiple MAC were found. I have ports with multiple MAC.

2.- The portlet External Links presents a Third Party option. Where I can edit this option?

Regards,

Hi,

1.  Duplicate report helps you to identify possible network discrepancies related to MAC Address of the end hosts. Thus, it is expected just to run the report without specifying any of the devices.  This report will not report duplicated MAC address of the ports.

2. A "Third Party" edit option used to be under Common Services -> Server -> Home Page admin in previous LMS versions, but it seems that there is no such option in LMS 4.0 any more. I opened CSCto47487 to fix this. As a workaround please use iFrame (when you click Add portlets it is under Miscellaneous). In iFrame you will be able to specify the third party link.

Svetlana

jennyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Svetlana & Geert.

In LMS 4.0, how do I delete a Job created for generating daily Change Audit Report. I don't see any option to delete it.

The job was created in LMS 3.2 and later migrated to LMS 4.0. The hostnames of the all the LAN devices associated to the report have also been changed, and now the report does not make any sense.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Please login to the LMS server and afterwards modify URL as: http://:/rme/CriReportJob.do or https://:/rme/CriReportJob.do. For instance, my server has ip=10.10.10.10 and I use http mode, the URL for me will be http://10.10.10.10:1741/rme/CriReportJob.do.

Using this URL you will open a RME Job Browser for all RME jobs (ChangeAudit included) and you will have Delete button. I opened CSCto47236 to request delete button for the ChangeAudit reports, which is currently missing under Reports > Audit > Change Audit > Standard

Svetlana

Hi Svetlana,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to delete the job.

anthony
Level 1
Level 1

In LMS3.2 we were able to use the NAT'ED per device attribute to get around the bug with dual NICs on the server in relation to grabbing the vlan.dat, ie LMS telling the switch to tftp to the wrong interface.

In LMS4.0.1 the bug is supposed to be fixed, yet we find it isn't.  The workaround available in LMS3.2 is no longer available, we could only do the NAT'ED option on a global scale.

How does LMS4.0.1 (Solaris) determine which interface it should use as the TFTP destination address that it sends to the switch for grabbing the vlan.dat file?  Does the bug still exist in some form?

Ant

Hi Ant,

To discover which NIC should be used on multi homed servers, LMS first does a ping to the device and then uses the ip address that is configured on the NIC that the icmp request was sent out on as destination address for the tftp session. If this ip address is not reachable from the device or if something is blocking tftp to this address, then you need to use the "Natted IP Address" attribute to manually configure the destination ip address that should be used for the tftp session.

You can configure the "Natted IP Address" attribute for all the managed devices at:

Admin> Collection Settings> Inventory> Inventory/Config Timeout and Retry Settings

The page currently only allows you to configure the "Natted IP Address" for all the devices. If you would like to configure the "Natted IP Address" on a per-device basis, you can use the following url:

http://:1741/rme/rmedevices.do

First log into the LMS server and then manually add /rme/rmedevices.do after the LMS hostname and port in your browser. This will take you to the old LMS 3.2 RME Device Management page. Select the devices you would like to edit and click "Edit Device Attributes". Then click "Inlide Edit" and enter the "Natted IP Address".

Development is planning to add this to the Collection Settings Admin page in LMS 4.1.

Geert

Awesome, thanks Geert.

Maybe the bug still exists but only in Solaris zones.  The icmp request is definitely sent out the correct interface that we want the tftp to be sent back to.  LMS just chooses the wrong interface - we see this in the commands sent to the device.

We will try doing the old "hidden" workaround.

Ant

Steve Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Just a few more questions.

Does LMS use the values in the credentials set(s) each time a discovery is run If i create a credential set(s) and a policy that discovery uses?

Can an organization that has different subsidaries with different networks use one LMS server to manage their devices? Assuming the total number of devices is 300.

Can i create different monitoriing and inventory dashboards for certain groups of devices?

What are the basic credentials needed to add a device in to the DCR?

How is the eol data populated into the device fields?

Hi Steve,

Q1: Does LMS use the values in the credentials set(s) each time a discovery is run If i create a credential set(s) and a policy that discovery uses?

A1: LMS uses SNMP credentials during each discovery.

Q2:  Can an organization that has different subsidiaries with different networks use one LMS server to manage their devices? Assuming the total number of devices is 300.

A2: sure it can if you have license which allow you to manage 300 devices

Q3: Can i create different monitoriing and inventory dashboards for certain groups of devices?

A3: Could you please specify in details what exactly you would like to achieve?

Q4:  What are the basic credentials needed to add a device in to the DCR?

A4: SNMP  read community

Q5:  How is the eol data populated into the device fields?

A5:  RME fetches and collects the End-of-Sale and End-of-Life information from Cisco.com at regular intervals

Svetlana

The idea is to have LMS 4.0 manage the different networks that an organization has. For example a parent company that own and operates three different companies. Can this company use one LMS 4.0 server to manage the devices from the differnt companies?  Assuming once again that the total number of devices is 300.

alkabeer80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Geert and Svetlana

I have LMS 3.2 and my network is huge one and i have have plenty of logs in CS " i have cleared syslog file it was (17GB)" this is the current logs:

dcrclient.log            3367365

jrm.log                    2993502

syslog.log              585145

dbbackup.log        400132

ICServer.log          308507

I want to clear this logs, Can I ? how ? Do i need to stop the service of LMS inorder to clear the logs?

2nd i want to upgrade my license from 3.2 to 4, do i need to buy license or upgrade it directly without payment?

thanks

Hi Alkabeer,

1. you could use a logrot utility (Common Services -> Server -> Admin -> Log Rotation) to clear the old content of the files. Please check http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_common_services_software/3.3/user/guide/admin.html#wp1144251 for details how to configure it.

2. license for LMS 4.0 is different from one for LMS 3.2. So you will need to have a new or a special upgrade license.

Hi Svetlana,

thanks for yr reply i have done with it, i have new question i have run netconfig job for all my routers and switches ( lets say 1000) to apply ACL, i want to roll back this config how can i do it ?

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card