cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bad experience in pre-sales meeting, but maybe it was me

JWHolm81891
Level 1
Level 1

So, I’m trying to understand how lost I am here. I’ll admit I’m not really skilled at putting a budget together, this is like the second time in my entire career, but I’m doing what I can and with what understanding I have.

I had a meeting with Presidio yesterday for pre-planning and for help putting our list together and it didn’t go well. I had a meeting with Cisco the week prior and it was very friendly and lots of give and take with advice and thoughts on things. Nothing negative. The Presidio meeting had one tech that just seemed to act like every thought I had or question I asked was surprisingly ridiculous. I felt like he was going to write Cisco and AWS and have them revoke my certifications.  

So, I know some may bash me a bit on here for asking the following, but I seriously am asking for clarity for how far off base I am with my understanding of some things. I’m just going to touch on the things the Presidio tech was giving me tude on:

I didn’t know that there was a virtual 9800 controller. I’ve always gone to an IP and logged on (this is at two different jobs). When I asked the difference, or why it was important to know one from the other (I figured they both must do the same job), he became almost appearing insulted. What did I say that was wrong in asking that question?

He asked what my plans were for our network (city-wide network, gov’t, about 80 switches, a controller, and almost 50 APs) and I told him my plans were to bring in 9000 series switches and at some point, automate the network. He asked why I wanted to automate it and followed by how (Ansible, python, Puppet…). I honestly wasn’t sure why that was important right now as to what scripting I was going to use, so I threw out probably Ansible/python…but I really didn’t know yet. Right now we’re just implanting devices that can be managed from a single plane and automated down the road. As to why I wanted to automate, I assumed that would be obvious, but I guess not. He also mentioned I don’t need 9000 switches to automate.

He seemed dedicated to correcting me on my understanding of what an SDN is. I’ve always understood an SDN network to be one run via software and code (automation, GUI) but I guess I’m wrong. I honestly didn’t understand his explanation.

All in all, I felt like he was beating me down so he could sell me stuff I wasn’t wanting, but maybe I just don’t really understand what I’m wanting to do or what I’m working with. It wasn’t a good meeting and I really don’t look forward to having to deal with him more down the line as this progress, but go ahead and let me know how far off base I am. I’d rather know the truth than be wrong and continue being wrong as we move ahead.

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I dont have much experience as well but I can tell you this. It sounds like your experience with CISCO is how it should go. If you are talking to a salesperson it is THEIR job to understand your requirements and ask questions. They know their products like the back of their hand. So when you say I want to do this like automation or SD-WAN or whatever it is, they are tasked with providing you options (several, usually) on how you can implement that with certain devices along with possibly their recommended best solution. This goes for stuff like automation as well. Like when you said you didn't know which one you were using yet it would be the salesperson to say "ok well these models support this automation language, while these other ones support these automation languages, etc." Then when it comes down to a purchase you will have a better understanding of what to order to fit your needs. The sales person should also be able to explain WHY you dont need something or WHY you do to fit your environment instead of just saying you dont need this.

Think of it like being a network administrator:

Company says hey we have a remote site that we want to set up a DMVPN with encryption, that's all they know because these are not network techs.

Its your job to know the different types of DMVPN along with encryption and suggest several with best recommendation (by you, the admin) with pros/cons of each and then the company will have a better informed decision to make.

It should almost always be give/take with a conversation, not all your ideas are wrong. This is my opinion alone from my experience.

Hope that helps

-David

Hello,

why even bother with Presidio after that experience ? You are a (paying) customer...if the salesperson is that bad, their service is probably even worse. You sound like someone with plenty of experience and knowledge. There must be other Cisco partners available I would think...

Really hard to tell without knowing the "background" to the story. 

It is either Presidio started with a bad day before the meeting or the meeting was just a "formality".  

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks like that Presidio guy had a bad day before that meeting.