cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth monitoring by Protocol

Bob Boklewski
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find a way to monitor bandwidth usage by protocol on each of my client machines.  This will give me info on any offending applications/services causing high bandwidth utilization.  It sounds like the 2960s I have do not support netflow, so that might be out of the question trying to get that info from the switch. I could possibly use port mirroring, but can't find any software that could help track usage by ip and protocol. If you have any ideas, please let me know.  

Thanks for the help in advance.

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can, move "upstream" to the router or firewall that's between the users and the Internet. There you will be able to sample the traffic with Netflow and send the data off to a machine running something like ntop (open source - http://www.ntop.org/products/ntop/) or SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) or Scrutinizer (commercial products)

I have my 2960s paired to a Cisco isa570, not sure if that supports netflow, doubtful.

We will be moving away from the ISA570 at some point, it is feature rich, but lacks enterprise support and functionality.  

Let me know if you think there is anything else I may be able to do.  Even if it involves snmp on the workstations that would be fine too.  Thanks for the response!