cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice to group devices in CPI 2.2?

gabor.rozsa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As part of deploying CPI 2.2 I need to find the best way to group devices. Is there a best practice to group devices?

These are my findigs so far:

1. In the Inventory > Grouping > Location & Device menu you can set the group membership for a devicve based on different attribute like SNMP values, device name and UDFs (user defined field).
  2. I couldn't find any way to bulk import Location names and create an hierarchy based on a csv file. Does anyone know how to create a location hierarchy without entering all location manually?
  3. Is it possible to use a user define field vale to assign devices to a Location?
  4. The Inventory > Device Management > Network Devices > Bulk Import you can select bulk import of Sites but this is only used for wireless maps based on my understanding this is only used to do troubleshooting of the wireless network. There is no option to use sites to create reports and/or deploy configuration from the Configuration menu. 

Thanks you,

Gabor

2 Replies 2

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gabor,

last option should help.

You can export the devices list along withe credentials and use a EDITOR tool  like Notepad ++ or edit plus , make the entry of location or UDF and import the file back.

NOTE: Do not use MS-EXCEL  to edit the file  ,otherwise import will not work

hope it will help

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ***

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Hi Afroz,

Thanks for your answer. 

If you ment option #4 that is not really an option. I want to create a hierarchy under Inventory > Device Management > Network Devices > Location but couldn't find any way to do it.

I'm aware that during import I can set the value of any UDF however in the Inventory > Grouping > Location & Device menu there is still no option to map UDF to Location. Correct me if I am wrong.