Views
Helpful
Replies

BOOTP setup on diff mgmt vlan

dueeino
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!
I am doing a 9200 Access, 9400 Core network infrastructure in an offline environment. I would like to do new switch onboarding via the BOOTP process. I have set my management VLAN to not be the default VLAN/VLAN 1. My management VLAN is doing the DHCP broadcast. I have also configured the VTP 3 server with a unique domain+password. But I am unsure what a good practice would be to onboard out-of-the box switches, I feel it would be very unsafe to have a DHCP with the bootp parameters sitting in VLAN 1 to onboard these switches but with the unique MGMT vlan and VTP domain I don't think I see another method?

Thank you for any feedback

4 Replies 4

dueeino
Level 1
Level 1

Rather I mean the DHCP boot commands

If you mean that using dhcp to assign IP to mgmt vlan 

That not good design.

If you want to ping or access using this IP and dhcp assign different you maybe can not access anymore until you know exact IP.

So config static IP to mgmt vlan.

MHM

I will be having 100+ downstream 9200's, managing an IP list is quite a lift. I was hoping for the cisco DNS server to allow me to reach devices via their hostname instead. This is a slots/gaming environment, so constant changes occur and tracking would be easier by giving distinct hostnames instead of physical location to IP list. I have tried the static IP route it was very impractical most of the time.

Even if you use hostname' still you need DDNS to make DNS change IP each time it get new IP from dhcp.

MHM