Views
Helpful
Replies

Bypass or reset console password

charris01101
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'm hoping someone can help. Long story short, I have a Cisco 4431 router that is used as the gateway router for my company's Wireless. Somehow I must have mistyped the console password when I first installed the router because I can't get in from the console now. Unfortunately, that is the only way I have to access it because ssh/telnet is not configured and I really need to access this router to make some changes. Is there a way to bypass the console password/login so I can make my changes and reset the password. I feel so stupid to be in this predicament. If someone could help me I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You'll need to do a recovery password procedure and this will have an impact because a reboot is required.
Here the doc:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/troubleshooting/guide/isr4400trbl/isr4400trbl02.html

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

To access rommon, you need to interrupt the boot process using ctrl +c

Connect to the router in console mode, reboot it and you will see a message that you need to do ctrl +c to interrupt.

After that you can follow the procedure.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

You're welcome

Thanks
Francesco

8 Replies 8

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You'll need to do a recovery password procedure and this will have an impact because a reboot is required.
Here the doc:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/troubleshooting/guide/isr4400trbl/isr4400trbl02.html

Thanks
Francesco

Maybe I'm missing something if I am I apologize, but how do I change the register so it will boot to ROMOM if I can't log in. I remember on the 2900 series I had to remove the compact flash but for the 4000 series says "To get to ROMMON, set the confreg to not auto boot (0x0 if your baud rate is 9600), and then reload the box."Can I do this at the username/password prompt? Again, I apologize for my ignorance.

To access rommon, you need to interrupt the boot process using ctrl +c

Connect to the router in console mode, reboot it and you will see a message that you need to do ctrl +c to interrupt.

After that you can follow the procedure.

Thanks
Francesco

Thanks!!

You're welcome

Thanks
Francesco

Hi Francesco,

I am attempting to do a password recovery on a 4431 switch with the link you provided, however when I reach the step rommon2> reset, when the router boots it is still asking for a username and password which is unknown.

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

Hishaam.Edries
Level 1
Level 1

NOTE = original(normal) confreg = 0x2102

Change confreg:
1 - on boot = cntr + c

Note original confreg:

2 - rommon 1>confreg

Note - say no to change config settings in above

Change confreg:
3 - rommon 2> confreg 0x2142

4 - rommon 3> reset

Router boots but bypasses config:

5 - router>en
6 - router#copy start run

Here is where you change the username and password:
7 - Router_name(config)#username cisco password cisco

Put the config-reg back to what it was:
8 - Router_name(config)#config-register 0x2102
9 - Router_name(config)#end
10 - Router_name#wr
11 - Router_name#reload

when router is back to normal startup - make sure config register is back to normal 0x2102

12 - Router_name#show ver

edit: nvm this did not work for me 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: