cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9600 stackwise virtual quad-sup failover test!

KTNgineer
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning to do a failover test for C9600 stackwise virtual quad-sup, but not sure if there is anything we need to verify first.

Understand that in failover situation, the stackwise standby(chassis 2) should take over as active role in matter of seconds without traffic interruption. 

Has anyone encounter these failover scenarios or performed these tests??

13 Replies 13

Sylvain_Che
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have SUP-1 or SUP-2 model?

StackWise Virtual Quad-Sup is not yet supported with SUP-2 model (C9600 Data Sheet).

If SUP-1, I cannot comment I never did the test.

Sylvain_Che
Level 1
Level 1

If you have Catalyst 9600 SUP-1, yes it is supported. But I never tested the Quad-Sup failover scenario so I cannot give any feedback.

If you have Catalyst 9600X SUP-2, it is not supported yet.

Just wanted to highlight the current support of StackWise Virtual Quad-Sup depending on the hardware you have.

Sylvain.

Not sure what you meant by Catalyst 9600X SUP-2, basically below is our current setup:

KTNgineer_0-1721293389013.png

9600 SUP-1 and 9600X SUP-2 are different supervisor hardware type. Please refer to the link I posted in my 1st reply.

If you issue a "show module", you will be able to see which supervisor you have on slots 3 and 4.

Got it, it shows SUP-1..

KTNgineer_0-1721295747980.png

Sylvain_Che
Level 1
Level 1

So the failover should work without particular issue. Make sure both supervisors have status as "OK" and operating as "sso" and stackwise virtual is healthy (#show stackwise-virtal [...]).

Thank you for replying. The reason for this test is because there was a failure in chassis 1 stackwise active-sup previously(probably power issue) and the stackwise hot-standby on chassis 2 did not take over as intended and eventually took about 15 min for ics(chassis 1) reboot to complete and take over the active role.

Currently:

#show redundancy rpr

sw 1 slot 3 - InChassis-Standby (Ready)

sw 1 slot 4 -  active

sw 2 slot 3 - STANDBY HOT

sw 2 slot 3 - InChassis-Standby (Ready)

So not sure what went wrong.

Edited

Thank you for replying. The reason for this test is because there was a failure in chassis 1 stackwise active-sup previously(probably power issue) and the stackwise hot-standby on chassis 2 did not take over as intended and eventually took about 15 min for ics(chassis 1) reboot to complete and take over the active role.

Currently:

#show redundancy rpr

sw 1 slot 3 - InChassis-Standby (Ready)

sw 1 slot 4 -  active

sw 2 slot 3 - STANDBY HOT

sw 2 slot 4 - InChassis-Standby (Ready)

So not sure what went wrong.

What firmware is the VSS on?

What kind of "failover" test was performed?  Completely power down chassis 1?  Split brain?  Supervisor line card crash?

the stackwise virtual is running on 17.9.3. im guessing power issue on chassis 1 that caused the outage previously based on the previous staff description.

All the verification show stackwise, show switch , sh module etc looks ok though.

Brave be running a core switch on 17.9.X.  

We dumped that train few months ago and went to 17.12.3.

Alfiehenry
Level 1
Level 1

Before performing a failover test on a C9600 StackWise Virtual quad-sup, ensure all configurations are synchronized and stable. Verify redundancy settings, power supplies, and inter-chassis links. During the test, chassis 2 should assume the active role swiftly with minimal traffic disruption. Test logs and network monitoring are essential.