cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't run resetCasuser.exe on Windows

henniae
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to run resetCasuser.exe I get the error "You have to have local administrator privileges to run this program".

I have Admin rights and have tried all the solutions I could find on the Cisco web site. I put casuser in the admin group, rebooted and it still does not work. I am working with TAC for the past few days but we have not solved it yet. Has anyone seen this before?

LMS 2.5.1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The user needs to be defined locally on the server.

You may not be able to run resetcasuser if you are logged in using your domain user account.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

If your server is in a domain, make sure you are logging in locally, not as a domain user.

To clarify, do you mean locally as in from the console of the box as opposed to a terminal services session? Or do you mean as a user that is defined locally on the server as opposed to my domain user account?

Thanks

The user needs to be defined locally on the server.

You may not be able to run resetcasuser if you are logged in using your domain user account.

nhabib

You are the man. This works!!!! Thanks.

I have had a TAC case opened since last Wednesday and the 2 different TAC engineers have been trying to figure out why I can't run the resetCasuser.exe program. Nobody mentioned that it needs to be run by a local user.

The User Guide for CiscoWorks Common Services has the following references to casuser and nowhere does it state that resetCasuser.exe has to be run by a local user.

Q. How do I change the casuser password?

A. You can change the casuser password using resetCasuser.exe. It can be executed only by an administrator or casuser. To change the casuser password, do the following:

The CiscoWorks Server uses the password but the casuser user is never intended as a general user of the Windows system. No user is required to log

on the Windows system as casuser.

Windows Systems—The user casuser, created as part of the install process, has no special permissions or considerations on a system so it is a “safe” user

ID under which to execute the CiscoWorks Server and application code. The localsystem user can perform harmful system operations.