cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can vlan.dat file be collected using SCP on LMS 4.2 ?

CSCO11227946
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I need help regarding vlan.dat file fetch.

I'm using Cisco Prime 4.2 and VLAN fetch for all devices is currently going over TFTP. Devices managed by LMS are 2960, 4500, 6500 series. All devices are using SSH v2. ACS server is configured on all devices and SSH credentials are OK.

This is the error meessage I get when i select SCP: "SCP user credentials not available. Configure the SCP user credentials and try again Action: Check if protocol is supported by device and required device package is installed."

Is it possible to use SCP as VLAN fetch protocol? How to configure this on a devices and how to enter SCP credentials in LMS?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

CSCO11227946
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

does anybody have information about this?

I don't think anything other than tftp is supported as the transport protocol for actual transfer of the vlan.dat file from the switches by LMS.

See this post where Joe C. describes how LMS logs into the target device (via telnet or ssh) and then transfers the files back to itself using tftp. That's about 2-1/2 years old but matches what's described in the current LMS Configuration Management user guide, quoted here:

"VLAN — Count of the successful VLAN configuration fetches for each protocol. This configuration fetch is supported by only Telnet and SSH protocols."

You also have the option (as of LMS 4.2) of turning off vlan.dat collection since it is often of limited utility. Please refer to this thread for details.

Thank you for the answer.

You're welcome. Please mark your question as answered and rate posts if helpful.

I managed to enable vlan.dat collection over SCP, and it works without any problem.

On cisco switch command transport output ssh must be enabled on VTY lines so that SCP can work.

On LMS, SCP user with password must be created  in Admin > System > System Preferences section.

Cheers

What 4.2.x version do you use? I tried on 4.2.1 and it appeared only to try using TFTP no matter what.

I recall I could copy the tftp.dat to the server using SCP from cli. But not using archive management.

Cheers,

Michel

Version that I'm using is 4.2.3, but it supposed to be working on all 4.x.x versions.

In order to use SCP you must select transfer protocol for vlan.dat fetch here:  Admin > Collection Settings > Config > Config Transport Settings>VLAN Fetch, remove TFTP  and add SCP as selected protocol.

Hope this will help you mate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: