cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot get GNS3 router to ping Linux IP inside VM

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

I installed Linux Mint and included all the necessary upgrades after which I installed GNS 3 within the Linux VM itself, and the Linux VM/localhost acting as the server, so i could practice python scripting. I've never installed GNS 3 inside a VM instance Install seems fine However now there is an issue, I cannot ping from my Linux IP to any GNS router. I tried the L0 interface and Vibro adapters within Linux as well with no luck. I tried NAT cloud. I simply cannot ping the router to Linux VM. I need them to communicate so I can run python scripts from Linux command line. I'm thinking if I run a Kali Linux server within GNS 3 and try it that way it is too slow for my testing purposes. Any suggestions. I simply want to ping routers inside GNS 3 to Linux.m The Linux is running under VMWARE so I don't believe it can support KVM, so I installed GNS3 natively within the Linux download. I do not see why a simple ping is so hard.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

If you want to access device in gns3 from a Linux machine, you could do this with vmware workstation running the Linux machine, gns3 with NAT node, gns3 devices. 

With that setup you can access devices from physical machine and virtual as NAT node will use vmware virtual interface to communicate.

Put a router connected to the NAT node and configure the Interface as dhcp.

cont t

Interface gx

ip add dhcp

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

If you want to access device in gns3 from a Linux machine, you could do this with vmware workstation running the Linux machine, gns3 with NAT node, gns3 devices. 

With that setup you can access devices from physical machine and virtual as NAT node will use vmware virtual interface to communicate.

Put a router connected to the NAT node and configure the Interface as dhcp.

cont t

Interface gx

ip add dhcp

Thank you now I can get back to python scripts

Hi @Flavio Miranda,

I created a topology as you mentioned. And the router connected to the NAT node got a DHCP IP and from the router, i can access the my laptop IP and internet as well. 

But I cannot ping to that DHCP ip of the router which connected to NAT nide, via my Laptop. Seems there is one way com from router to my laptop. not working from my laptop to router.

Any idea about that.

Thank you.