cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350 SSH setup guide

HF Martini6
Level 1
Level 1

I'm quite new to Network administration so excuse the very basic newbie question.

I'm trying to get SSH working on CBS350-24T-4X and CBS350-8XT devices but it just doesn't work and I'm not even sure why that is. I'm working with the CLI through a terminal cable using MobaXterm.The goal would be to remotely access the switches through SSH for administration purposes.

Is there a step by step guide or video or am I just going at this completely wrong?

6 Replies 6

HF Martini6
Level 1
Level 1

thank you very much @balaji.bandi and @DanielP211 

I've seen that Video which is for older switches not the CBS350, isn't there a way of doing it with the CLI?
I have 13 switches to set up and there's more to come so going in through the webGUI will take a lot of time, I was hoping fopr something I could maybe even work into the config files.

@HF Martini6 

I'm not aware about any guide for it, but just to enable the SSH service type:

MSW3#configure
MSW3#ip ssh server

You can, of course, type "ip ssh ?" to see all options.

Kris K

HF Martini6
Level 1
Level 1

after a bit of back and forth I added this to the cfg:

ip ssh server
ip ssh-client server authentication
ip ssh-client username ------
ip ssh-client password ------
ip ssh-client source-interface vlan 3

the last line is because of:

interface vlan 3
 name Management------
 ip address 10.-.-.--- 255.255.255.0

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3
I use only these 3 commands.
ip ssh server
ip ssh logging enable
ip ssh password-auth

ip ssh server alone is sufficient to enable the access for the admin account, but for some reason it is necessary to hit Enter at the login prompt first and then the User Name prompt appears. Adding ip ssh password-auth makes it possible to enter the admin account right at the login prompt and use other accounts if defined in the switch’s local datable. I’m not really sure what ip ssh-client does, but I've always suspected it's for the switch-to-switch SSH access.
Kris K