Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing configuration with Netconf on IOS XR

Hello,

i am trying to do soem very basic configuration changes on a ASR9K with netcon. I am able to retrieve configuration without problems. But i have no clue how to set something.

According to the XML Documentation there is a edit-config protocol operatino as well as a commit. What i try to do is the following

Get Interface config from System - looks likes this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><rpc xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0" message-id="1"><get-config><source><running/></source><filter><Configuration><InterfaceConfigurationTable><InterfaceConfiguration><Naming><Active>act</Active><InterfaceName Match="GigabitEthernet0/1/0/10"/></Naming></InterfaceConfiguration></InterfaceConfigurationTable></Configuration></filter></get-config></rpc>

<InterfaceConfigurationTable MajorVersion="5" MinorVersion="3">

<InterfaceConfiguration>

<Naming>

<Active>act</Active>

<InterfaceName>GigabitEthernet0/1/0/10</InterfaceName>

</Naming>

<Shutdown>true</Shutdown>

</InterfaceConfiguration>

</InterfaceConfigurationTable>

Good so far

Now the change (enable the interface)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><rpc xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0" message-id="2"><edit-config><target><candidate/></target><config><InterfaceConfiguration ><Naming><Active>act</Active><InterfaceName>GigabitEthernet0/1/0/10</InterfaceName></Naming><Description>TestBeschreibung</Description><Shutdown>true</Shutdown></InterfaceConfiguration></config></edit-config></rpc>

That fails with "unknown element"

I tried several XML-requests, like with or withput the enclosing InterfaceConfigurationTable , with or without the config tag - it is always the same.

Does anybody have a workign example,or some documentation how a edit-config request has to look like ?

Thanks in advance

7 Replies 7

I finally got it. The correct XML syntax is
Configuration XML

All enclosed in rpc--Tag of course . And: Configuration Tag has an upper Case C .

It is a shame - but Junipers Netconf documentation is way better...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem.

Unfortunately from your answer I don't understand the exact xml that must be submitted to the netconf client in order to make it works.

Could you please attach a working example in this thread?

Thanks,

Pino

Hi,

yes - find a working RPC-Request attached. What you need to do is to enclose the whole InterfaceConfigurationTable XML-Structure within a "Configuration" XML-Element.

The example sets a description and the Interface MTU

Hope that helps

Thank you so much!

Just a question: I noticed you repeat twice che <description> tag.

Is there a reason, or it just a misprint?

Pino

Hm -  i copied it from a working request. Probably it's needed only once.

tanh00002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carsten B

I see you can get config with Netconf on IOS XR. 

Now i have a problem when get config on IOS as below discussion

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12365981/netconf-operation-failed

can you help me to solve this problem.

Thanks!

Sorry - i've got no experience with netconf on IOS