Views
Helpful
Replies

Check LAN speed

subalexandru
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I have a problem with LAN environment, people complains that the network work slowly, the application also works slowly. 

I did a test with ftp server and the transfer rate was approx 5 Mb/s (I have transferred 150 MB) and the speed configuration on switch is : full duplex with 100. 

What should I test next? 

I have switches EOL/EOS from 2003. Can be this a problem?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi subalexandru,

First of all you need to find out where exactly is the problem. What applications people use and where are they located. You mentioned the FTP test. Were you downloading or uploading? Was it to the Internet or onto your local FTP server? Do you use any sort of network monitoring? If not I think it is a good time to start. Also, how many switches do you have and what is the topology? There are many questions to answer before you get to the root of the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi subalexandru,

First of all you need to find out where exactly is the problem. What applications people use and where are they located. You mentioned the FTP test. Were you downloading or uploading? Was it to the Internet or onto your local FTP server? Do you use any sort of network monitoring? If not I think it is a good time to start. Also, how many switches do you have and what is the topology? There are many questions to answer before you get to the root of the problem.

Hi Sergey,

The ftp test that I did it was between local ftp server. And yes, I am using a monitoring tool and the response time for switches , in average is 35-40 ms. 

I have 7 switches, from which 5 are EOL and 2 are up to date. 

The major problem is between Core Switch and 2 switches that are in different location from the Core Switch. The switches that are in the same building with core switch, everything is fine. 

OK, the main thing you need to check is not the response time, but the error counters on the uplinks to the core switch. Also, have a look at what is the utilization on those links. Are they 100meg or 1Gig ports?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco