cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2250 IP config issues

dblaylock
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Cisco 2250-50 switches that are currently on DHCP.  I inherited this network and there is almost no documentation.  It appears that there was no configuration done on these switches before they were put into production; the default user id and password as still in place and I see zero configuration changes in the running config.  The issue I'm having is that I cannot access the web based management console as there doesn't appear to be an address assigned.  I have been aware from Cisco products for quite a few years and I'm having difficulty trying to figure out how to assign an IP address in the CLI.  The switches are in production so doing a factory reset and starting fresh is a no go.

Any assistance you can provide would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

>...Is there not a way to set the IP through the CLI

These small business devices are gui-configurable only and don't have  the capabilities that a bigger ios-based switch has (cli-configurable). Is it plugged into  a parent cisco switch somewhere ? If so you could use show cdp neighbors detail to get the networking details. If not you could just connect another 'dead end' cisco switch to it and try the same from that device.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Is that the exact model-name of the device because it looks confusing ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

what device is the 2250 ? 

Sorry for the confusion. They’re SG 220-50’s.

Hello,

I guess you have tried the default settings for the Web GUI:

Username cisco
Password cisco
Switch IP 192.168.1.254

If that doesn't work, your only option is to access the switch through the console port. Chances are that the console-only access profile has been activated, so in that case you won't be able to use the Web GUI anyway.

The CLI commands available are different/less than on the IOS routers/switches you are used to. Below is a reference:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf220_sg220/command_line_reference/Sx220_CLI_Guide.pdf

The link below (page 12) describes how to connect a PC to the console port:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf220_sg220/quick_start/guide/220_QSG_us_EN.pdf

I am connected to the console port and am able to log in with the default credentials.  The issue I'm having is being able to assign an IP address to the management vlan so I can access the Web GUI. I've tried going into the vlan config and can't use any of the commands that would allow me to assign an IP.  I've attached my latest attempt.  I'm sure this is my lack of familiarity with recent Cisco IOS commands.  Hopefully you can shed some light on my ignorance.

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf220_sg220/quick_start/guide/220_QSG_us_EN.pdf

- Note that these devices do not run IOS , from the admin guide :

>...To access the switch with a web-based interface, you must know the IP
                address that the switch is using. The default configuration of the switch is
                to use its factory default IP address of 192.168.1.254 until it has obtained
                an IP address from a DHCP server.

If it has been getting an address from a DHCP server (e.g.), then check the logs on your DHCP server, lookup the switch mac-address, and find out which IP-address it is using.

M.

Hello,

the CLI screenshot you have posted shows that you are on the right track. You are just in the wrong context mode. You are in the Vlan database configuration context.

Try the below:

SwitchCCD028#conf t

SwitchCCD028(config)#interface vlan 1

SwitchCCD028(config-if)#ip address x.x.x.x

I appreciate your responses but I'm still at a loss.  I've scanned all of my subnets and I do not see the MAC address for the switch anywhere.  It's not listed in DHCP either.  Is there not a way to set the IP through the CLI?  This seems counter-intuitive.

>...Is there not a way to set the IP through the CLI

These small business devices are gui-configurable only and don't have  the capabilities that a bigger ios-based switch has (cli-configurable). Is it plugged into  a parent cisco switch somewhere ? If so you could use show cdp neighbors detail to get the networking details. If not you could just connect another 'dead end' cisco switch to it and try the same from that device.

M.

I'll give that a try.  Thanks.

This got me pointed in the right direction.  Fortunately I had another switch laying around that I could plug in.  Looks like I'm going to have to tear the whole network apart and start from scratch.  Should be a good time.   Many thanks for all your help.

- Alright ! - Have a good Christmas, 

M.

You as well.

@marce1000 

--> These small business devices are gui-configurable only and don't have the capabilities that a bigger ios-based switch has (cli-configurable).

Is that true ? Might depend on the model, but the screenshot posted by OP shows there actually is a CLI, and it is configurable. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card