Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850: Removing StackPower cables

DoctorHouseToo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

I have a 4-member switch stack. I have labeled on the picture the switch member number. SW#4 was a later addition to the stack. SW#1 is active, SW#2 is standby, and the rest are members. The goal is to move to one switch per weekend starting with SW#4.

First step for me is I would like to remove all StackPower cables. I do not see a need for shared power after running 'show power inline'. After reading Cisco's Managing Switch Stacks, I can't seem to find documentation on removing the StackPower cables. Will the switch stack reload if I remove any of the StackPower cables? I also checked Catalyst 3850 Switch Hardware Installation Guide Documentation and can't seem to find verification on what happens if I remove the StackPower cables of the whole switch stack. I only find precautions about when removing/disconnecting StackWise cables when the switch is powered on.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Switch StackSwitch Stack

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as long as you have enough power on the members, you can remove the stackpower cables. (risk is while you doing any power go switch will be overloaded or have no power to remember - this case if you different source of power) - looks like you have all one source of power. so if the power fails all will be going down anyway.

StackPower cable hot-swappable.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as long as you have enough power on the members, you can remove the stackpower cables. (risk is while you doing any power go switch will be overloaded or have no power to remember - this case if you different source of power) - looks like you have all one source of power. so if the power fails all will be going down anyway.

StackPower cable hot-swappable.

BB

Thanks for the reply BB.

Since you mentioned that StackPower cable is hot-swappable, every time I would disconnect it would make sense then to do a 'show power inline' before and after disconnecting to make sure that power on each member is stable.

By the way, PSU 1 on each switch is connected to UPS 1 and PSU 2 on each switch is connected to UPS 2. So each switch has two separate or independent sources of power.

thats nice to know you have dual inputs. and i see all devices are also dual PSU installed, so you are good go there no need to check verification (but as precaution you can do so)

Most standard setup was, Switch 1 and 2 have Dual PSU, rest of the members only have single PSU to save cost. if that fails the power supply from SW1 and 2

BB

"Most standard setup was, Switch 1 and 2 have Dual PSU, rest of the members only have single PSU to save cost. if that fails the power supply from SW1 and 2" -- Good insight, I inherited this switch stack setup, so moving forward I will take this into consideration.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card