cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Network Discovery Tool

wynneitmgr
Level 3
Level 3

We just upgraded our entire network with Cisco switches, firewall, servers, smart switches, SAN Storage. Is there a Cisco tool out there that can capture all the data for each device (ie, ip, serial #, model, etc) Thank you.

3 Replies 3

RBeugnies
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco FindIT Network Discovery Tool may help, however this will only discover Cisco devices. Alternatively you could use PRTG which is free (up to 100 sensors) but you'll need to configure SNMP on each device.  You could use "show cdp neighbours details" on each Cisco device which will show you directly connected devices and all the information about the device.

I already had tried the FindIt tool but it only returned my wireless access point. I also have Cisco switches, firewall, servers etc. but none of those were found. Am I missing a setting?

Zaaf Aba
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Depending on the size of your network, collecting the information manually will take a lot of time, repetitive and carries possibility of human error.

Once I had to audit a network from scratch (not familiar to that at all) and the first thing I did was look at neighbour table, captured the arp table from the gateway then filtered on the rows containing MAC OUI. I also used nmap and arping from a linux machine on the network and saved it into csv format

Using my Linux scripting skills I managed to write expect script and capture information from every switch, router etc.

You have to use at least two Cisco commands to get the information because there isn't a single command which will show you the ip, serial #, model, etc

The commands you would need are

sh ver | i address

sh cdp entry * | i Platform: |IP|--------

If you need a hand with expect script, please let me know. The script would require complete list of ip addresses of each device you want to collect the information for.

Regards

Zaaf

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card