Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco NMS query

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I have many cisco routers and switches, would like to manage those using a centralize tool. I wonder whether to go for Ciscoworks LMs 4.2.5 or cisco prime. Can someone suggest which one is suitable. Is Lms 4.2.5 going to be EOL/EOS ? Is managing Cisco prime be same like the old LMS ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LMS is already not being sold separately for some time. The official EoS announcement has not been put out but I heard at Cisco Live US this summer to expect it soon.

Prime Infrastructure does manage most Cisco devices but it is not the same as LMS. Some features customers have come to expect and use in LMS still have not made it into PI. (CiscoView, certain reports, ability to define an automated action based on syslog message, etc.)

That said, PI can do some things that LMS never did well, it at all. There is a good comparison document that Cisco has published here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/guide_c07-735919.html

You might also consider some third party solutions such as SolarWinds NPM and NCM. Depending on your environment, they may be a better fit for you.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LMS is already not being sold separately for some time. The official EoS announcement has not been put out but I heard at Cisco Live US this summer to expect it soon.

Prime Infrastructure does manage most Cisco devices but it is not the same as LMS. Some features customers have come to expect and use in LMS still have not made it into PI. (CiscoView, certain reports, ability to define an automated action based on syslog message, etc.)

That said, PI can do some things that LMS never did well, it at all. There is a good comparison document that Cisco has published here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/guide_c07-735919.html

You might also consider some third party solutions such as SolarWinds NPM and NCM. Depending on your environment, they may be a better fit for you.

Thanks Marwin.!!

Our requirements are only the below, kindly let me know how to achieve

1. Need to have scheduled backups of routers, switches

2. Need to push configurations to all devices from the central management system

3. Need to monitor the network devices,interfaces

4. Need a portal based (campus manager kind of) topology diagram for the connected devices

All these are available with PI i guess.

Is there any evaluation software available ? Is the CLI troubleshooting same like our LMS ?

The requirements you mention can be met with Prime Infrastructure.

You can get an evaluation copy of Prime Infrastructure via:

www.cisco.com/go/nmsevals

You can also get evaluation copies of SolarWinds NPM and NCM and try them both out hear to hear if you have the time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: