cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.0.0.0.78 upgrade

WheatleyD
Level 1
Level 1

We are rebuilding our PI virtual machine due to a lack of hard drive space, currently running 3.0.0.0.78.  The end goal is to get to 3.7, however it looks like you can only migrate to 3.7 from 3.1.5 and above.

What I need to know is can I upgrade from 3.0.0.0.78 to 3.1.5 with the /opt drive at being full, sat at 98% with 18GB available?  We have already added the maximum number of drives allowed for the VM so this is no longer an option to increase space, I am trying to avoid a complete rebuild at this point.

Regards

Dean

2 Replies 2

Tobias Heisele
Level 1
Level 1

Would it be an option to do the first step of your upgrade by creating a new VM with the Prime 3.1 OVA and import the Prime 3.0 Backup file? That would ease the opt file system issue + you can keep the old 3.0 VM as backup.

After that, go on with the upgrade on the Prime 3.1 VM using inline update scripts.

Otherways, try to free you opt file system via this procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0boulfIOdQ

Be aware that the licensing schema changed from device to token based licensed from ~3.1.2 -> 3.1.4 (not 100% sure). While upgrading, additional tokens called grandfathered licenses will be generated to license your installed base. After that, you will have the same amout of free tokens that you had free devices licenses before.

Thanks, that is a possibility.  Though getting the OVA from our provider seems to be harder than it should be, but would need to get the 3.1 ova first for this option.

I have ran the recommended steps laid out by Cisco to try and create more space but the difference it makes is small and the drives fills up quickly afterwards.

Thanks for the heads up on the licensing too.