cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime LMS 4.1 - Do access points use up a node count license?

IHCowan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I wish to purchase Cisco Prime LMS 4.1, particularly Cisco part # R-LMS-4.1-500-K9 which support 500 Cisco nodes.

We have about 360 Cisco switches/routers/ASA/FWs/WLCs so the 500 nodes license would seem to suffice for now & for future growth.

We also have about 200 lightweight APs that are managed & monitored by our WLC/WCS/Navigator environment.

According to the device support documentation for LMS, it supports and I assume will auto-discover these APs.

Does that mean these APs will use up node licenses on LMS even though management of the APs is done by WLC/WCS?  If so is there an easy way to suppress discovery of APs by LMS so we don’t have to purchase extra node licenses for LMS?  Or, does LMS offer additional support features for wireless APs not already offered by WLC/WCS/Navigator?

Just trying to understand how many network node licenses for LMS I have to purchase.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ian.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thomas Masters
Level 1
Level 1

Yes an AP will use a device count but you have a few options. 

1) Discover the network with an exclude filter on the AP subnet, this will prevent population into DCR database.

2) Add the devices through an IMPORT function, do not use discovery and avoid the APs.

3) Do a one time discovery and later delete all the APs from DCR database

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Thomas Masters
Level 1
Level 1

Yes an AP will use a device count but you have a few options. 

1) Discover the network with an exclude filter on the AP subnet, this will prevent population into DCR database.

2) Add the devices through an IMPORT function, do not use discovery and avoid the APs.

3) Do a one time discovery and later delete all the APs from DCR database

Thanks but I just heard back from my Cisco SE and he assures me that an AP will NOT use up a license.

I've asked him to verify his answer for me.

Is your answer based on real world expereince (the best there is)?  That is, are you running Prime LMS 4.1 and does it indeed use up a license for each light-weight AP it discovers & manages?

Thanks for mentioning options 1-3 but I do not wish to employ any of them.  I don't mind buying the additional licenses for APs ... I just need to know if I have to or not.

Ian.

It is my understanding a lightweight AP does not respond to SNMP , so LMS will not be able to manage those devices.  In that case your Cisco SE is correct.

I read over the "lightweight" in my first response.

Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: