Helpful
Replies

Cisco PRIME-NCS-APL-K9 Network interface Card Teaming\PaGP\Binding

vishal agavane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team, 

Hope you all are doing good.

I wanted to know cisco  PRIME-NCS-APL-K9 server which has two NIC interface and if I have two core switches (VSS) and i want to connect these two NIC interface to both Core switches and will assign single ip address to these two NIC interface by doing Teaming/Link Aggregation\etc so for SNMP trap i can define that IP address. if so then please i need your guidance to do the same my purpose is to connect these two NIC interface to Two core switches and in case of any core switch goes down my Cisco Prime should be reachable from other NIC interface which is connected to other core switch.

Please let me know how i we can achieve these Please let me know the setting for the same if it's possible.

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vishal

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry but that's not a supported option with the current PI appliances.

Thank you for your prompt reply, Sir can you please elaborate the purpose of PRIME-NCS-APL-K9  server two Network Interface Card ?

The appliance is Cisco-branded but it is built on a general purpose commercial server platform (an IBM server in this case).

General purpose servers have commodity hardware designed to meet a wide range of implementations and use cases. For that reason, they include things like a second NIC - it may be useful for some uses and not used at all in others.

Cisco has built Prime Infrastructure on the Application Development Environment Operating System (ADE-OS) shell over top of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). One could just as easily ask why you can't use iptables as a host-based firewall or run an ftp server on the Prime Infrastructure server since RHEL is running on it.

The answer is that Cisco pre-packages the OS build and decides exactly what hardware (and software) options to support in order to reduce the number of variables in the installation and make the product more supportable and servicable. There's always a trade-off in features when doing that. They make a business decision where to strike that balance at the time they develop the product. It isn't always the best decision for every customer's needs but that's how it is. If they hear back from enough customers that a certain non-included feature is really important, it may get rolled into a future release.