Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300 - Syslog messages timestamps

Hello everyone.

I have noticed that my Cisco SG300 switches are not adding timestamps to syslog messages. (see screenshot). As a syslog server I use "Syslog Watcher".

Some output from SG300  ( SG300-52MP-K9):

SW1#sh version
SW version 1.4.7.6 ( date 07-Dec-2016 time 18:37:03 )
Boot version 1.3.5.06 ( date 21-Jul-2013 time 15:12:10 )
HW version V02

I must add that "Syslog watcher" works fine with Cisco 2950 (switch adds timestamps correctly to syslog messages). Normally you need issue just one command in order to make switch add timestamps into syslog messages "service timestamps log datetime localtime".

However, I see nothing like this on CLI on SG300.

Any Ideas?

Thanks beforehand 

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are your SG300s learning time from some source? What output do you get from show clock?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Output from Cisco SG300:

SW1#sh clock
10:00:21 Jan 29 2018
Time source is sntp
Time from Browser is disabled

SW1#sh clock detail
10:01:15 Jan 29 2018
Time source is sntp
Time from Browser is disabled

Time zone (Static):
Acronym is
Offset is UTC+0

DHCP timezone: Enabled

and

clock source sntp
sntp unicast client enable
sntp unicast client poll
sntp server time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov

Thanks for the additional information. It confirms that the SG300 is learning time and eliminates one possibility for why there is no time stamp in the syslog messages. I have looked through the documentation and do not see any commands that seem to control whether or not a time stamp is included in syslog messages. What do you see in the output of show logging and of show logging file? Are there time stamps in these? 

I admit that I do not have much experience with the SG300 and hope that someone in the forum who has more experience will jump in.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: