Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SMP Configuration with PRTG Software

killian123211
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

This is my first time posting on here though I've been a lurker for a while now.  

I've dipped in and out of Cisco over the years (sat Network+ several years ago) but am now responsible for managing a small (1600 user) network running on Cisco equipment.  We are in the process of refereshing this core due to a recent failure but I'd like to get some SNMP monitoring setup to keep an eye on things.

I've inherited this in weird circumstances as the business were previously under a managed service who weren't performing so documentation is very sparse.  I'm currently studying CCNA to increase my knowledge and have passed my CCENT and working on getting it up to a full CCNA.  So my knowledge is reasonable but I aknowledge I'm not quite there yet so reluctant to go poking around in the dark.

We have a Cisco Catalyst 6509 (which I've since been told is way over spec'd for our size).  From what I can see the managed service have previously enabled SNMP and possibly also Netflow though I would like to change these now to point to our new monitoring software (we have no access to the software the previous managed service had implemented).  These are the lines I can pick up from the Core.  As an aside I'm not too sure here what is and isn't 'specific' or 'generic' so I've just blanked things out with X's to be safe;

snmp-server engineID local XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
snmp-server community XXXXXX RO
snmp-server host XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX version 2c XXXXXX

I've tried looking through Cisco's articles around SNMP but can't make heads or tail of it or perhaps I've not spent long enough on it yet.  Would anyone care to help out in this instance?  I can replace the IP address under the SNMP-Server host and use the same community string on both sides but not sure if that will work.  I also can't see any SNMP traps enabled.

If I do a show snmp I get the following (again with X's);

Chassis: XXXXXXXXXX
2466552 SNMP packets input
0 Bad SNMP version errors
1615 Unknown community name
0 Illegal operation for community name supplied
0 Encoding errors
41173586 Number of requested variables
0 Number of altered variables
1929145 Get-request PDUs
535792 Get-next PDUs
0 Set-request PDUs
0 Input queue packet drops (Maximum queue size 1000)
2464941 SNMP packets output
0 Too big errors (Maximum packet size 1500)
0 No such name errors
0 Bad values errors
0 General errors
2464937 Response PDUs
4 Trap PDUs

SNMP logging: enabled
Logging to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, 0/10, 0 sent, 0 dropped.

Weirdly there is an extra octet in the "Logging to" line above though the IP address under Show SNMP matches the first 4.

If anyone is able to help out or point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

p.hruby
Level 1
Level 1

This configuration line:

should give you the chance to read from Catalyst using SNMP.

Try to create for example "SNMP traffic" sensor in PRTG and set "Credentials for SNMP devices" with your community string and specify version 2c.

The extra octet in you "sh snmp" output is UDP port 162 which is used by SNMP (traps).

Petr

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

p.hruby
Level 1
Level 1

This configuration line:

should give you the chance to read from Catalyst using SNMP.

Try to create for example "SNMP traffic" sensor in PRTG and set "Credentials for SNMP devices" with your community string and specify version 2c.

The extra octet in you "sh snmp" output is UDP port 162 which is used by SNMP (traps).

Petr

Thank you Petr, that has worked and I'm now able to track certain interfaces.

Could I ask what the IP address of 'Logging to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX' is referring to, that IP isn't my PRTG setup and may be the old managed services SNMP software.  Would changing this to the PRTG offer anything different?

You can change the IP address (or create new entry) with IP of PRTG. But PRTG is not the typical software for trap processing (see SNMP trap receiver probe in PRTG).

Anyway nothing else will be affected when you delete current logging (snmp-server host) command.

Thank you again for your time Petr.