cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Works Access Levels

fredareid
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if anyone could maybe point me to where it states that access levels cisco works needs. We have some core switches that we only want cisco works to store log and configuration settings, but not necessarily allow it to access to change these. Any ideas? or any documentation anyone can point me to?

Thanks

AJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Pavone
Level 1
Level 1

AJ,

So you want Ciscoworks to store syslog messages and device configurations?  Not the settings?

For Ciscoworks to be able to retrieve and store the device configurations, the server will need at least SNMP ReadOnly-ReadWrite access to pull the configs from the devices via an snmp set using tftp.  The only other way Ciscoworks can pull configs is through telnet or ssh where it needs access to the enable prompt to get the configs.

For Syslog, as long as RME can classify the type of Cisco device and knows what kind fo device it is syslog messages will be stored in RME.

Again, these answers apply to the clarification question I first stated.

Rob

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Robert Pavone
Level 1
Level 1

AJ,

So you want Ciscoworks to store syslog messages and device configurations?  Not the settings?

For Ciscoworks to be able to retrieve and store the device configurations, the server will need at least SNMP ReadOnly-ReadWrite access to pull the configs from the devices via an snmp set using tftp.  The only other way Ciscoworks can pull configs is through telnet or ssh where it needs access to the enable prompt to get the configs.

For Syslog, as long as RME can classify the type of Cisco device and knows what kind fo device it is syslog messages will be stored in RME.

Again, these answers apply to the clarification question I first stated.

Rob

Yes according to our engineer here at my place of work.  I was wondering if they set up the cores to allow different levels of access. Meaning have an enable 2 lvl for just the ciscoworks server that would allow it to pull logs and configuration. But I think from what you stated that has nothing to do with be able to get access beyond SNMP.

Thanks

Correct.  With snmp access the level 2 would not come into play.   That only applies to telnet or ssh access.

Rob

I think what might have thrown me for a curve was under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Transport setttings under Archive Mgmt it says config fetch and config deploy it only has SSH, Telnet, TFTP, RCP, SCP and HTTPS.

Maybe I am looking in a completely different area then I need to be.

That is definitely where you look at HOW RME pulls configs.  You can restrict on that archive transport screen to only have RME use TFTP (via SNMP set) to get the configs and REMOVE the other options (ssh, telnet, scp, rcp, http).  Then RME will only use SNMP to retrieve the configs.

Rob