cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Works Enable username credential missing

fredareid
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to deploy a configuration out as well as running a Device Credential Verification Job and they both fail because of "Enable username credential missing." I can not seem to pin point the problems because there is no place to add this, also our switches do not asking for a username while going into enable mode. Would TACACS+ have anything to do with this?

5 Replies 5

Thomas Masters
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like you need to go to Common Services -> Device and Credentials -> Device Mgmt (DCR) and update the primary username / password / enable

password credentials for the device.  One of those is either missing or incorrect.

You basically need the same credentials you use as if you were to telnet to the device.  Make sure those exist in DCR.  Then run a RME -> Devices -> Device Mgmt -> Credential Verification Job and see if they pass.  If so, then run the config job.

I have checked and double checked this. They are correct. I use the same one to manually log in using ciscoworks login.

Any other ideas?

Well you will probably need to install wireshark and capture the "Telnet" traffic between LMS and  the device to see the reason behind the failure.  You can use follow TCP stream to see the entire login session.  It may be that you are using non standard TACACS+ prompts which would throw the script of what it expects to see returned.  There is a file you can create TacacsPrompts.ini in CSCOpx/objects/cmf/ data to provide additional rules.

See

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.0/user/guide/admin/collection.html#wp1111536

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread... I have found myself in a similar situation. And I have run a wireshark capture to review the entire telnet session. Obviously I am using generic passwords here, but this what I get when I follow the TCP stream. And yes, I did indicate that this is an IOS device, not CatOS (which is why I'm confused about that "set" command).

Username: ciscoworks

Password: sample_password

Switch6513>

Switch6513>

Switch6513>

Switch6513>

Switch6513>_tune_

Switch6513>

Switch6513> set length 0

Switch6513>

Switch6513>

Switch6513> enable

Password: sample_password

Switch6513#

Switch6513#

Switch6513#

Switch6513# _tune_

Switch6513#

Switch6513#

Switch6513# _tune_

Switch6513#

Switch6513#

Switch6513# enable

Switch6513#

Switch6513#

Switch6513# _tune_

Switch6513#

Switch6513#

And Ciscoworks still reports "Enable username credential missing" even though the switch is obviously in enabled state.

Needless to say I'm trying to push the upgrade to NCS, but it's kinda difficult when the existing installed software isn't working as advertised.

Update to this... if I tell ciscoworks that this is an "Unknown Device", then the device credential check is successful. However, an inventory collection results with "Device sensed, but collection failed."

Sigh.