Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L Memory on "Main (Processor)" is high

zeljkosan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team,

I have some weird notification on WS-C2960G-8TC-L.

Our monitoring system is sending us:

Memory on "Main (Processor)" is high!

Alert: Memory on "Main (Processor)" is high! - Current: 80 %, Threshold: 80%

Severity: Major

But when I type show logging there is no error, also there is no active port on switch except uplink.

I also check spanning-tree, nothing.

So could be this some problem regarding monitoring system, and MIB messages, or there is some another troubleshoot method which will give info.

I also check show process cpu sorted, in attachment

3 Replies 3

Hello,

which monitoring system are you using ? There are a few bugs regarding memory leaks, but none really seem to apply. Have you tried reloading the switch ?

Can you post the output of:

show process memory sorted holding

myteam3533
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Based on the information you've provided, it seems like your monitoring system is alerting you about high memory usage on the "Main (Processor)" of your WS-C2960G-8TC-L switch, but you're not seeing any corresponding errors or issues when checking the switch directly.

Here are a few steps and considerations that might help troubleshoot this issue further:

1. Verify Monitoring System Configuration: Double-check the configuration of your monitoring system, especially the thresholds and alerts set for memory usage on the switch. Ensure that the thresholds are configured correctly and that the monitoring system is interpreting the MIB (Management Information Base) messages accurately.

2. Confirm Memory Usage on the Switch: Use the command show memory on the switch to directly check the memory usage statistics. This will give you a detailed breakdown of memory usage across different components of the switch.

3. Review Historical Data: Check if there is a way to review historical data or trends in memory usage from your monitoring system. This can help determine if the high memory alert is a recurring issue or a one-time occurrence.

4. Check for Firmware or Software Bugs: Sometimes, high memory alerts can be caused by bugs in the firmware or software running on the switch. Check Cisco's bug database for any known issues related to memory usage on the WS-C2960G-8TC-L switch model and consider upgrading to a newer firmware version if necessary.

5. Monitor SNMP Traps: Configure SNMP traps on the switch to monitor and capture SNMP messages related to memory usage. This can provide additional insights into whether the switch itself is reporting high memory usage or if it's an issue with how the monitoring system is interpreting the data.

6. Evaluate CPU Usage and Overall Performance: In addition to memory usage, monitor the CPU usage (show processes cpu sorted) and overall performance of the switch. High CPU usage can sometimes impact memory management and vice versa.

7. Consult Cisco Support: If you're unable to determine the cause of the high memory alert, consider reaching out to Cisco support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps based on the switch model and firmware version.

In conclusion, while your switch may not show any active issues directly from its logs and interfaces, it's important to verify the configuration and interpretation of alerts by your monitoring system. Additionally; monitoring SNMP traps and reviewing historical data can provide valuable context to resolve this issue effectively.

zeljkosan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, thanks for hints, we are using Zabbix.

I think I found something in this part ''show process memory sorted holding'', is really describing there is some overload:

Processor Pool Total: 22325080 Used: 17912408 Free: 4412672

Full in attachment.

Now our client put some cameras on switch, so I could reboot switch later today, if you think that will solve issues

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card