Views
Helpful
Replies

ciscoworks 2000

nataraj_v
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

can anybody pls tell me , how to take IOS and running configuration backup in ciscoworks 2000.

we have around 100 routers , i want to schedule to take IOS n Running configuration backup.

can anybody pls guide me

Thanks in advance

Regards

Nataraj

6 Replies 6

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

IOS images can easily be kept on the CW2000 server. Even with 100 devices or more you do not need that many different images. This can be managed quite well using the software management tools available.

Cisco Works automatically saves each change to your running configs however, this is not always easy to restore in case of failure. I have an alternative that gives you a copy on tftp. I am using the -alias- command on each device to create an extra command called: backup

alias exec backup copy running-config tftp:///.wri

From cw2000 it is now sufficient to create a NetConfig job that executes the command: backup

Files will land in the /tftpboot folder.

Please note that this is an additional copy, apart from the stuff that is saved by cw2000 anyway.

Regards,

Leo

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi nataraj

Once u have added all the switches on the RME inventory, you can archive all the configurations, all at once.. you go to RME->config mgt-> archive , and select the switches for which the config files will be archived... for IOS, you can use the software management module.....

let us know if this works..

Raj

Dear Sachin,

in RME-> config mgmt-> i found only update archive,

which is updating the running config of devices.

but i want to take back up all routers ( ios backup)

i didnt find anything in software management module regarding taking backup of IOS

Thanks & Regards

Nataraj

Hi Nataraj

If you would like to backup your IOS images then you can do this through Software Management.

In Software Management you can maintain a library of all the images running on your network. If there are any images running on the network which are not currently stored in the library, then this can be seen by running the 'Synchronization Report'

You can navigate to this as follows:

Resource Manager Essentials > Software Management > Library > Synchronization Report

If you would like to create a baseline of all the IOS images running on your network, then you can set RME to search all devices in the inventory and report devices which are running images NOT currently stored in the Library - You can then select those devices and backup the images to the library

You can navigate to this as follows:

Resource Manager Essentials > Software Management > Library > Add images > Select 'Network' as the image source

If you check the context-sensitive help in CiscoWorks then you will see some very good explanations of these features

HTH

Marcus

Hi,

Thanks for your support, your guidance has resolved my problem and i could able to take the back up of images.

If possible kindly suggest me how to take the running configuration backup of the routers. Please suggest me how to schedule the backup.

regards

Natraj

Hi Nataraj

To setup 'Config Retrieval' navigate as follows:

Resource Manager Essentials > Administration > Configuration Management > General Setup > Select 'Change Probe Setup'

Kind regards

Marcus

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card