Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks and disaster recovery

a.mountouris
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Forum,

I tried to find references on cisco site about CiscoWorks and disaster mechanisms or redundancy but I could not find any clear reference.

For example, can I have two LMS/VMS servers one backing up the other so that if the primary fails, the other can take over? If this is the case, both servers should be active? Or is there any mechanism to synchronise databases during the nigght for example?

In general, how can we achieve redundancy or dissaster scenarios for CiscoWorks (LMS/VMS) servers?

2 Replies 2

nwhalley
Level 1
Level 1

The only way to achieve active hot standby is to have 2 CW servers configured in duplicate and the network devices configured to send information to both of them. Obviously this will double up on the management traffic and you will have to incur the cost of purchasing 2 copies as the Cisco licence agreement does not permit installation of the same software on different servers and they do not have any reduced costs for redundant installations.

Nick

y-korolevski
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone has done anything different in terms of disaster recovery scenarious ?

Right now I have a project with 2 CiscoWorks machines. How can I sync their databases and avoid extra polling ?

Thanks,

Y.