cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks Configuration Archive

rmeans
Level 3
Level 3

How does CiscoWorks access devices to download and save a configuration? I have recently added a couple of devices to CiscoWorks. I have entered the creditials, still no cnfiguration has been saved. I am assuming CW either uses SSH or SNMP to make the connection. Then what?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends. RME uses a configurable variety of protocols to fetch device configurations. You can few the current protocol order under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Transport Settings. At a bare minimum, you can use TFTP, and configure an SNMP read-write credential in DCR for the device. RME will then use SNMP to trigger a TFTP fetch of the configuration. For telnet and SSH, RME will connect to the device, then perform show run/show startup to collect the running and startup configurations. Those protocols require you have an optional username, a password, and an enable password configured in DCR.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends. RME uses a configurable variety of protocols to fetch device configurations. You can few the current protocol order under RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Transport Settings. At a bare minimum, you can use TFTP, and configure an SNMP read-write credential in DCR for the device. RME will then use SNMP to trigger a TFTP fetch of the configuration. For telnet and SSH, RME will connect to the device, then perform show run/show startup to collect the running and startup configurations. Those protocols require you have an optional username, a password, and an enable password configured in DCR.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card