cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 2.5 and HP OpenView NNM 7.5 on the same box?

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm wondering if there's any real-world precedent of running HPOV NNM 7.5, CiscoWorks LMS 2.5, and MRTG on the same box. Is there any explicit no-no by any vendor against such an installation? If so, a link/doc is much appreciated. The only definitive argument against it that comes to mind is the finite number of TCP/UDP ports available in the OS. With all these network management tools opening sockets doing what they do, it's highly conceivable they will be bumping heads for the 65535 TCP/UCP ports.

3 Replies 3

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are a couple of other problems. NNM has its own webserver using IIS (windows) and this will prevent LMS webserver from starting when enabled.

Also, they will be port contention for UDP 162 (SNMP) and 514 (Syslog)

Keep in mind that each application would need to meet its own resource requirement. If LMS requires 4GB for RAM for example, this would mean 4GB for LMS alone. Additional RAM would be needed for the other apps.

If I don't run DFM, would UDP port 162 contention still be of concern?

NNM on Solaris has web servers listening on 3443 and 7510, nothing on 80 or 443, so I can't really argue that. RAM will be aplenty (16GB) so I'll get shot down on that too.

Any other pointers?

No DFM, then 162 shouldn't matter. Solaris won't see the web issues and if you have the resources it should be ok. I have seen quite a few customers with both installed on Solaris.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card