cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure and Troubleshoot Wired and Wireless Networks Using Cisco Prime Infrastructure

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Tejas Shah

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions troubleshoot, and manage your converged wireless and wired network using Cisco Prime Infrastructure with Cisco expert Tejas Shah. This is a continuation of the live webcast. Cisco Prime Infrastructure is built with scalability and extensibility in mind. It has the ability to manage global enterprise networks with thousands of network devices and hundreds of thousands of access devices, or smaller commercial networks with the same level of control and resiliency.

Tejas Shah is a senior technical marketing engineer for Cisco Prime Infrastructure and Collaboration products. He has deployed Cisco Prime Collaboration Manager at various customer sites to help customers monitor and troubleshoot their video infrastructure. In addition, he has been part of the Network Operations Center team at Cisco Live events for six years. Shah joined Cisco in 1995 and has been in the Technical Assistance Center team supporting various network management system products for more than six years.

Remember to use the rating system to let Tejas know if you have received an adequate response.

Tejas might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the

Network Management Community

shortly after the event.

This event lasts through April 12, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Webcast related links:

40 Replies 40

ciscomoderator wrote:

Hello Tejas,

There are still few questions that need answered from the live event in regards to WLCs & wireless networks:

1. How can we do exception-based capacity reporting for Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs) and access points (APs) if we look back one month and forecasting forward?
    ==> I don't believe we have that today.. I'll need to check on this one.  I would also invite you to send an email to ask-prime-infrastructure@cisco.com, as this event will be locked after this weekend.
  2. How to import heat maps from Wireless Control System (WCS) to Prime?
    ==> This is covered in Prime Infrastructure Deployment Guide - See the link below:

Import/Edit Maps from WCS/NCS to Cisco Prime Infrastructure

1. When upgrading APs that are deployed in hundreds of sites, but on the same controller, is there a way to limit the upgrade to only certain sites until the new code is verified?
    ==> If all AP's are on the same controller, they will download new image and reboot  at the same time (when controller reboots).
  2. What determines malicious rouge APs?
    ==> Malicious rogue is based on user-defined classification rules.  Explained in  detail in PI configuration guide (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/prime_infrastructure/1.3/configuration/guide/sol.html#wp1124185)

Thank you for your responses.

Cisco Moderator

Hi Tejas,

Please help me with this situation.

On March 14th, a support engineer made a maintenance  exercise in some equipment, and one router 7600 show a ticket up from a  “Power Supply down”. The engineer told me that they never shutdown the  device, just restart, and physically the Power supply is working very  well. The problem is the ticket never got Clear, and we also tried with  the option POLL NOW in the CPN Vision, but it did not change. We had to  clear it manually. Is it a kind of bug? When it occurs?

Also, the maintenance was done as the same way in other 7600 and 7609s, and they did not get alarmed. Why did it happen?

We have the Cisco Prime Network 3.8.1

Christian Amador Burgoa wrote:

Hi Tejas,

Please help me with this situation.

On March 14th, a support engineer made a maintenance  exercise in some equipment, and one router 7600 show a ticket up from a  “Power Supply down”. The engineer told me that they never shutdown the  device, just restart, and physically the Power supply is working very  well. The problem is the ticket never got Clear, and we also tried with  the option POLL NOW in the CPN Vision, but it did not change. We had to  clear it manually. Is it a kind of bug? When it occurs?

Also, the maintenance was done as the same way in other 7600 and 7609s, and they did not get alarmed. Why did it happen?

We have the Cisco Prime Network 3.8.1

Christian, I wish I could help you here.. Can I urge you to open a TAC SR to track this?  I'm definitely not 
      an expert on Prime Network 3.8.1, but this does sound like a bug to me.

Other Question.

Thank you for councils, and I have the following questions.

With the PI 1.3, i could realize a monitorig generating PING constantly or not?, usually i use this protocol for verify the connectivity.

and i whish to know if the PI 1.3 can be integrated with the ASA 5512-x??

Jonathan.

Jonathan Franz Torrez Soria wrote:

Other Question.

Thank you for councils, and I have the following questions.

With the PI 1.3, i could realize a monitorig generating PING constantly or not?, usually i use this protocol for verify the connectivity.

==> Currently we check for availability using SNMP and ICMP.   That is what we have as Availability  Dashboard.   Are you wanting to see a  real-time icmp graph by creating your own poller?   We do have two pie chart on the home page if  any of the devices goes down.   We also  have a dashlet that monitors the active interfaces and alerts if they go  down. Is there any reason why the  Availability dashboards/pie chart doesn’t help?

and i whish to know if the PI 1.3 can be integrated with the ASA 5512-x??

==> I am not sure what you are referring to by integrating. If your question is about managing ASA-5512,  then we don’t currently support it, but it is tracked with high  priority.

Jonathan.

Tong Yue Su
      Level 1
      Level 1

I am looking for guidelines how to configure wired traffic stats in cisco prime infrastructure 1.2,

and do not use Netflow on my switches?

thanks.

Tong Yue Su wrote:

I am looking for guidelines how to configure wired traffic stats in cisco prime infrastructure 1.2,

==> Without netlow, you will not be able to some of the information like Top N Applications and Top N Talkers.  If you are just looking for interface stats, you can check out the folllowing link in PI 1.2 Deployment Guide :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/deployment_guide_c07-721232.html#wp9000900

and do not use Netflow on my switches?

==> If you would to enable netflow, you can check out the following section in PI 1.2 Deployment Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/deployment_guide_c07-721232.html#wp9000919

thanks.

daniel.litwin
      Level 1
      Level 1

I have several questions regarding maps.  We currently have PI 1.3 working fine and have all maps imported and scaled.

Do I need to draw walls/windows/etc on my maps?  Right now I have the floor plan scaled properly.  Does adding walls help with location of rogues/clients and other functions, or does it only help with planning mode?

Are there any updated documents on working with maps?  The Cisco documentation is back from WCS 4-5 days.

Are there any plans to eliminate the need for the Chrome plugin for Internet Explorer?  I find it a hassle to have to load another plugin to run the software.

Thanks.

daniel.litwin wrote:

I have several questions regarding maps.  We currently have PI 1.3 working fine and have all maps imported and scaled.

Do I need to draw walls/windows/etc on my maps?  Right now I have the floor plan scaled properly.  Does adding walls help with location of rogues/clients and other functions, or does it only help with planning mode?

==> So far from my experience, I have not see any customers do that.  Is it because you place APs on the wall?  Although, you can specify the number of floors in a building, the size and height of any floor, and associate images (including photographs and drawings) of these areas with your specifications.

Are there any updated documents on working with maps?  The Cisco documentation is back from WCS 4-5 days.

==> You could go to the Design > Site Maps > Click on the online help within the application.  See if that helps.  You can additionally use Prime Infrastructure Configuration Guide at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/ncs/1.1/configuration/guide/maps.html

Are there any plans to eliminate the need for the Chrome plugin for Internet Explorer?  I find it a hassle to have to load another plugin to run the software.

==> I believe with 2.0, we will remove the requirement for Chrome Plugin for IE9.  IE8 will still need to have Chrome Plugin. 

Thanks.

Diego Prada
      Level 1
      Level 1

Hello,

We just purchased the following items:

(1) R-PI-1.1-500-K9

(2) PRIME-NCS-APL-K9

I want to know how I can upgrade to the latest version of Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

Thanks

Diego Prada

lerojas2006 wrote:

Hello,

We just purchased the following items:

(1) R-PI-1.1-500-K9

(2) PRIME-NCS-APL-K9

I want to know how I can upgrade to the latest version of Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

==> Thanks Diego for the details, but I would like to understand what version you are looking to upgrade to?  I would recommend that you join one of our weekly webinars (Go to http://tinyurl.com/primedemo) and just login to Prime Infrastructure webinar every Thurs @ 11am PST.   We'll have friendly schedules for other timezones as well.

alternatively, you could also send an emal to ask-prime-infrastructure@cisco.com and one of us should be able to interact with you to make the right decision.

Thanks

Diego Prada

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: