Views
Helpful
Replies

Configured from console by console

Giovanni_Nucera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

when I try to config a simple fastethernet in CLI in a switch (or a gb in a router), terminal return me this message. I read some forum, I try with no logging commands but just delete the message without solving the problem.

11 Replies 11

Quentin Gabrel
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

It’s not a problem.
When you configure a switch or router, with a console cable, the display is more verbose

What I see is a simple informational message confirming the exit from configuration mode. It is quite normal. What is the supposed problems here that needs solving?

HTH

Rick

I can't configure anything. When I try to get into an interface, i go out automatically. This isn't normal :)

It's a problem, I can't configure anything

Thanks for the explanation. When I looked at your screenshot I assumed that you had done ctrl-Z or something like that. If the switch is just dumping you out of config mode that is not normal. Can you provide some information about the switch by posting the output of show version. And would you post the output of the command show private

HTH

Rick

This is show version

Thanks for the output. I intended to ask that you post the output of show privilege and it looks like auto correct made it into show private, and I did not adequately proof read my post. Sorry about that. Would you post the output of show privilege

HTH

Rick

No problem :)

Current privilege level is 15

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you want that message to no longer show up, just disable console logging "no logging console". The "configured from console by console", means the device has been configured from the console by the user console, which actually means you got unauthenticated access to the  console. If you would user a username of TEST to authenticate to the console, the log would say " Configured from console by TEST".

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

I believe that @Cristian Matei is making the same mistake that I did which is to assume that the problem is the message showing up. The original poster clarified for me that the issue is that he goes into config mode, and when he enters a config command the config session is terminated and he is dumped back into enable mode. The message may be a symptom but it is not the real problem. 

I had wondered if it might be an issue about trying to configure if the user ID had a privilege level less than 15. But he indicates that he is level 15. So we need to look for some other explanation. So I have a couple of questions:

- is it possible that the issue is about the kind of config change that you are doing? If you configure something other than an interface do you still have this issue?

- has this switch ever worked correctly in config mode? Or has it always had this issue?

- if it has worked in the past, then when did the problem start? Were there any changes to the switch at about that time?

- is changing the version of code on this switch a viable option?

HTH

Rick

Hi,

@Richard Burts Indeed, thanks for letting me know. To be honest, I've seen many, but never something like this. I'm laughing ridiculously loud to live and see this. Assuming this is not a joke, i would take a day off after seeing that :)

Now to the problem, just upgrade, keep it simple?

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: