cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Coonect to ssh from a WAN connection

Dr Evil
Level 1
Level 1

I wondering what I need to do when I connect to ssh from another network, for example if I have IP 10.10.10.1 and if  I try to connect from 192.168.1.15 or 32.25.2.1. Beside the ssh config, do I need to setup a  access-list do you have to be in the same network?

4 Replies 4

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight
Hi,
You can SSH from anywhere if the relevant routing is place You do not have to be in the same subnet as the IP you are trying to connect to. If you have an access-list tied to the VTY lines then you will of course need to add those networks to the ACL.

Thanks for the answer that's what I thought. Can I just ask quickly ask in regards to relevant routing, you mean routing protocols correct?

Or statics. As long as you ping from where you are to where you are going :-) How you get there is arbitrary I guess for this.

To supplement the information provided by @GRANT3779 what is required is basic IP connectivity between the device originating the request for SSH and the device that is the destination of the SSH request. The requestor must have a working path to the destination and the destination must have a working path to the requestor. It does not matter whether it is based on static routing, dynamic routing, or a mix of both. It only matters that IP packets successfully go between them.

It also assumes that SSH has been successfully implemented on the destination device. And it assumes that if security policies have been implemented on the destination to control SSH access that the destination device is permitted SSH access.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick