cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Create Firewall Rule to block Ports 2500-3300 (Veeam Backup Traffic)

Atomic_delta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to finally lean how to create a rule on a Cisco ASA GUI interface to block traffic coming from outside to inside of our company  that blocks only port range 2500 to 3300 which are the ports used for Veeam Backup. We want to block this so the users working outside of company IP ranges cannot send large amounts of backup data to our company servers.

Is there a good soul that can create this rule and attach a screenshot here together with the answer?

I am a complete noob when it comes to creating rules so please bare with me

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Atomic_delta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this was the solution to my question, all I needed was a screenshot like this so I can set it up myself:

Firewall.PNG

So the rule will block all traffic on ports 2500-3300 which are being used by Veeam for backup traffic from the 192.168.3.0 which is our VPN subnet.

Best regards

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

try this way 
 object service Obj-Ports-Range

service udp/tcp source/destination range 2500 3300

Hi MHM,

thank you. I am scared as it is, would like to do it over ASDM Console aka GUI?

BR

Hi MHM,

I appreciate you trying to help, but it is too little info for someone who has only the most basic knowledge of firewalls, i am not a pro. I would need this procedure from A to Z with screenshots as I was unable to find something easy on the internet. Could you do this for me please? I have created a rule 10min ago, but I am not sure if this is good:

Veeam.jpg

The rule is set on the last place as a 9th rule with all of the rules having the permit option. Does this need to be changed:

Veeam 02.PNG

Thanks

Hello,

the rule you created looks good as far as I can tell. Keep in mind though that the order of access rules is important, so make sure to move your rule to the top spot:

"The order of rules is important. When the ASA decides whether to forward or drop a packet, the ASA tests the packet against each rule in the order in which the rules are listed in the applied ACL. After a match is found, no more rules are checked. For example, if you create an access rule at the beginning that explicitly permits all traffic for an interface, no further rules are ever checked."

Hi Georg,

thanks for your input. Now i am reading the documentation because i think i have made a mistake. The documentation says the following:

Inbound and Outbound Rules
The ASA supports two types of access rules:
Inbound—Inbound access rules apply to traffic as it enters an interface. Global access rules are
always inbound.
• Outbound—Outbound access rules apply to traffic as it exits an interface.

I have created an outbound rule - this does not help me as I want to block the ports from outside to inside of the company?

Why does this have to be so hard ?

I don't see any error in your config still do you config PAT for these port ?

Hi MHM,

how do I check this? Will post any screenshot that you tell me to capture.

BR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBm-jTfUwE

this video how to config NAT keep notice that you must use Service Object (you use in ACL) in NAT also for port-range.

Atomic_delta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this was the solution to my question, all I needed was a screenshot like this so I can set it up myself:

Firewall.PNG

So the rule will block all traffic on ports 2500-3300 which are being used by Veeam for backup traffic from the 192.168.3.0 which is our VPN subnet.

Best regards

first glad you solve the issue second your original post about port range you don't mention there is VPN. 
anyway good job friend.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: