cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCHP failed. APIPA is being used problem in packet tracer

Vasky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I need assistance concerning a little project of mine, so I've set up a firewall asa 5055 to automatically assign an ip address to each of the PC i have set in the packet tracer program but i keep getting the error "DCHP failed. APIPA is being used" when changing the pc state from static to dhcp, every switch is attributed the vlans and are all in trunk mode.

Vasky_0-1717893789395.png

13 Replies 13

@Vasky hi, your ASA dhcp configured only for vlan1. your PCs are in different VLANs. if you configure switch port connected to VLAN1, DHCP will work. if you need DHCP for all VLANs, you need to configure sub interfaces in ASA for each vlan and enable DHCP.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

@Kasun Bandara thank you for your answer sir, I understand what you're saying but I don't know how to do so, can you help me for one vlan so i can do the rest myself please, im not used to the commands yet (objective is DHCP for all vlans)

@Vasky hi unfortunately packet tracer doesnt support sub interfaces on ASA. in this case, you can configure vlans in ASA and bin d to different interfaces. and connect them to L3 switch using different cables and configure respective vlan at the switch.

Good luck
KB

@Kasun Bandara i'm still lost after bunch of failed tries haha, could you be kind enough to help me with this issue

@Vasky sure. below are the steps

1. configure VLANs you want in the ASA. and configure gateway ip for each vlan in the ASA VLAN interface. then assign that to the eth0/0, eth0/1.. etc. respectively.

2. connect those ports to L3 switch where your port 0/0 connected now. for ex. eth 0/0 > switch port 0/4, eth 0/1 > switch port 0/5,  eth 0/2 > switch port 0/6, etc. 

3. configure switch ports to relevelt VLANs respectively. for ex. port 0/4 > vlan 10,port 0/5 > vlan 20, port 0/6 > vlan 30

4. make sure to check access layer switch configured with correct VLAN where PC is belong to.

Good luck
KB

@Kasun Bandara shame to say but i failed, would you be kind enough to realize it and attach the pkt file in your free time? sorry for bothering.

@Vasky check the attached file. i used router instead ASA due to license limitation in packet tracer,

Good luck
KB

@Kasun Bandara hello, the DHCP seems to work fine now but i absolutely need it to be done with asa rather than the router

@Vasky hi, you cannot use ASA in packet tracer for this. its not support for this requirement. you can try real ASA but you need additional license to enable more than 3 VLANs. or you may need to try real FTD.

Good luck
KB

Vasky
Level 1
Level 1

i have successfully created the concerned vlans (10 20 30 40) in ASA, so now i have the 4 vlans plus the vlan 1 (inside), the switches are set to mode trunk so i dont really know which vlan to switchport in the switches

Hello,

post the latest version of your Packet Tracer project file...

sure thing, here it is:

Hello,

the ASA in the file you sent has only two (1 and 2) Vlans...did you save the configuration (wr mem) ? Make sure the configuration contains the below:

interface Vlan10
no nameif
no security-level
ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan20
no nameif
no security-level
ip address 20.20.20.20 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan30
no nameif