cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Failed APIPA in Use

ryanj88
Level 1
Level 1

So I am trying to get all of these PC's to pull an address via DHCP.  The two on the bottom left labeled Finance PC and Operations PC respectively are giving me the error DHCP Failed APIPA is being used. Everything else was able to work. My question is what have I done wrong. I looked at another file that is correct and cannot find the difference. I've emailed my professor but he has not got back to me. I've attached my file that is labeled CIS204 1.5 Attempt 2 and the file containing a network correctly set up. Any feedback is much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

2 things appear to have prevented you from getting an IP address on those 2 devices.

-On SW2 you need to add the VLANs 30 and 40. All switches in the domain need to have all the VLANs that need traffic passed to them or else the switch will drop traffic from unknown VLANS.

-Secondly the ports on SW2 connecting to the Router and the other Switch (SW3) need to be a trunk with the command switchport mode trunk. The trunk port allows multiple VLANs to send traffic on that port.

Once I made those 2 changes and did an ipconfig /renew on the 2 PCs everything seemed to work and they got an IP address.

-David

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

2 things appear to have prevented you from getting an IP address on those 2 devices.

-On SW2 you need to add the VLANs 30 and 40. All switches in the domain need to have all the VLANs that need traffic passed to them or else the switch will drop traffic from unknown VLANS.

-Secondly the ports on SW2 connecting to the Router and the other Switch (SW3) need to be a trunk with the command switchport mode trunk. The trunk port allows multiple VLANs to send traffic on that port.

Once I made those 2 changes and did an ipconfig /renew on the 2 PCs everything seemed to work and they got an IP address.

-David

ryanj88
Level 1
Level 1

David, thank you so much. You are a life saver. I can't believe it was that simple. I really appreciate your help.