cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between IP overlapping and IP Conflict

Faresnani
Level 1
Level 1

what is the difference between the two concepts of IP overlapping and IP conflict?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IP overlapping is commonly caused by attempting to configure interfaces on a router or switch and attempting to use addresses that are not the same but are in the same subnet. For example

interface fast0/0

ip address 192.168.2.25 255.255.255.0

interface fast0/1
ip address 192.168.2.50 255.255.255.0

In this case the addresses overlap and IOS will not accept the second set of commands.

IP conflict is when you attempt to use an IP address on a device and some other device in the network already is using that address.

So one is an issue on a single device when 2 interfaces attempt to use addresses that are in the same subnet and the other is an issue between 2 devices both of which are attempting to use the same address.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IP overlapping is commonly caused by attempting to configure interfaces on a router or switch and attempting to use addresses that are not the same but are in the same subnet. For example

interface fast0/0

ip address 192.168.2.25 255.255.255.0

interface fast0/1
ip address 192.168.2.50 255.255.255.0

In this case the addresses overlap and IOS will not accept the second set of commands.

IP conflict is when you attempt to use an IP address on a device and some other device in the network already is using that address.

So one is an issue on a single device when 2 interfaces attempt to use addresses that are in the same subnet and the other is an issue between 2 devices both of which are attempting to use the same address.

HTH

Rick

Thank you for your good explanation it's now clear to me the difference 

You are welcome. I am glad that the difference is now clear. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Yes I agree with you, I'm also new in this community but in these few days I learn a lot from you and from others, and hope that we will learn and gain more and more from each other experiences