cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable NTP Queries

raghavgururajan
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to disable NTP Control Messages (Mode 6).

Based on this post, I did `no ntp allow mode control`. Then, when I do `show running-config | include ntp`, I see `no ntp allow mode control 3` instead of `no ntp allow mode control 0`.

So, did I disable NTP Queries or enable it without 3s delay?

CC: @jason.menningen

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Note that this may depend on the device (model)  you are trying this on and the software version it is running ; always useful to compare against the latest advisory release (you may need to upgrade) ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Cisco IOS Software [Bengaluru], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT9K_LITE_IOSXE), Version 17.6.4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

While the upgrade/replacement is planned, I'd like to know whether `no ntp allow mode control` disabled the NTP Queries or enabled it without 3s delay.

I'm asking this because - as per referenced post - running `no ntp allow mode control` command will make `no ntp allow mode control 0` appear in running-config. In my case, `no ntp allow mode control 3` appears in running-config.

- Have a look at : https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/how-to-disable-ntp-queries/m-p/3771623#M306931

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '