cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discard rate for interface is....... threshold value for this is....

Khundmir4cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

My NMS showing Discard rate for interface gig 1/0/2 is 9%, threshold is 5% and this generates a huge alarms in the system. I want to increase the discard rate to 10% to reduce the alarms but need to understand the calculation or formulae to make it as per cisco recommendations. 

My question is, on what basis I will increase the threhsold value. What are the things I need to keep in mind to calculate the optimum value. Giv me suggestions.

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Packet discards are not something you want to hide on your NMS by increasing the threshold!  Take the alert as an opportunity to investigate the cause and formulate a solution by either increasing the the bandwidth between the the devices or implementing QoS to make the packet drops deterministic.

cheers,

Seb.

Seb, while I understand what you are saying the OP is correct in asking what a reasonable threshold would be be for monitoring purposes.  if you are suggesting it should be 0 then I think you're living in a dream world.  I have just setup discard monitoring and have errors for values between 2.54% & 93.903%.  obviously the higher rates will warrant immediate attention, but just how low should you be looking?  is 2.5% going to have a significant impact on traffic and performance? like you said, just upping the threshold to mask the issue is not an answer, but what is?

@jon raine wrote:

. . . but just how low should you be looking?  is 2.5% going to have a significant impact on traffic and performance? like you said, just upping the threshold to mask the issue is not an answer, but what is?

"Bad" drop rates vary per apps.  Traditionally, anything above 1% was considered "bad", as I recall that's about the self regulating drop rate for classical TCP.

However, apps like VoIP or video like a zero drop rate   (BTW, a zero drop rate, for those traffic types, is often achievable as they have known max bandwidth needs.  [NB: to also guarantee zero drop rates, for such traffic, you may need admission control.])

Lastly, NMS monitoring is often for a multi minute period average, so shorter term drop rates can be much, much higher (and detrimental).  Because of the latter, I generally investigate NMS drop rates in excess of 0.1%.

@jon raine wrote:

I have just setup discard monitoring and have errors for values between 2.54% & 93.903%.  obviously the higher rates will warrant immediate attention, . . .

Just curious, what you consider a higher rate.  Hopefully, your 93.903% would be.  ; )

PS:

Above I mention "classical TCP" self regulating.  Hopefully, all will understand that TCP will often keep increasing its transmission rate to capitalize on all available bandwidth.  Detecting drops was how TCP knew to slow down (and repeats its available bandwidth probing).

The latest TCP variants, besides still using drops for transmission rate management, now might very closely also monitor jumps in RTT.  Seeing such, which often is due to queuing, and queuing is due to congestion.  So, these variants will slow themselves without dropping packets.

If the forgoing is happening, since much to most traffic uses TCP, you might now need to consider any non-zero drop rate should be investigated.

Also keep in mind a zero drop rate doesn't guarantee all is good on the network, either.

thanks for your response.  we have a very mature network and a monitoring platform that has been in place for a long time.  there was no reason to think there was anything wrong but discard monitoring has been on an improvement list for a while now.  it looks like we've opened a can worms I've pushed the thresholds way up for now and decided to tackle the worst of the bad actors first, then systematically drop the thresholds resolving each level as we go.  when we get into decimals I will be a lot happier.  the 93% is definintly top of my hitlist

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card