cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FIPS 140-2 On Nexus 9300 Swtiches disabling SSH

Drew15
Level 1
Level 1

We have FIPS 140-2 requirement for our Nexus 9300 Switches.
We use Cisco ISE for AAA with TACACS+ for SSH connections.  When we enforce FIPS on the   Nexus 9300 switches we lose SSH connectivity.

Documentation also states in the configuration guide.... 

Prerequisite for FIPS:  Disable Telnet. Users should log in using Secure Shell (SSH) only.

Guidelines and Limitation for FIPS:  Disable Radius and TACACS+ when FIPS mode is on. This is enforced due to OpenSSL in FIPS mode.

I'm looking for a solution(s) that will allow me to Enable FIPS, and maintain AAA and SSH access to our NEXUS 9500 switches.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- The problem is that  the Radius protocol uses MD5 hashes. The use of MD5 hashes is not FIPS-compliant.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Drew15
Level 1
Level 1

Thank your for your reply. That's correct. What I am looking / hoping for is that the might be another solution that would 1. Allow us to enable FIBS, 2. Allow us to access the devices once FIPS is enable.  I have not researched in detail yet but I heard and read a bit that options like OPEN SSH with windows or ANSIBIL might allow a potential solution using 2048 ssh keys.  I'm wondering if there might be other, better, options out there. Maybe someone might have found a reasonable solution.  Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card