cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Group Management Rule Expressions Q

ratatosk_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I'm trying to create a group of devices based on the IOS version that they are running to then create a software distribution job to those devices. I went to Admin | Group Management | Device and created a new User Defined Group. In the rule expression section I chose image.version equals the name of the old IOS version that I want to replace. This yields an empty list in the membership section. Hardware/software reports show ~70 devices with this version. Why doesn't this work?

See attached screenshots.

CWLMS 4.0.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to specify the image as it shows at the top of "show version".  In the example you provided, you must do:

Image.Version equals "12.2(35)SE1"

I tested this locally and it works.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are specifying the entire image name instead of just the version.  Try specifying "12.2(35)SE1" instead.

Joseph, thanks for the input, I did try that already, I went down to "contains" and "endswith" 122-55 etc but to no avail I'll have another go at it but I don't think it'll help.

You need to specify the image as it shows at the top of "show version".  In the example you provided, you must do:

Image.Version equals "12.2(35)SE1"

I tested this locally and it works.

Great, that did the trick! Thanks! The help files/user manual probably could use some extra clarification about this.

Ok, so next problem surfaces immediately... The selection of switches matching the IOS version is not correct. Several switches that have been upgraded to 122-55.SE1 are matched to the 122-35.SE1 query.

I checked Inventory | Dashboard | Inventory | Software Summary and listed all devices with 122-35SE1 and that list is correct, none of those upgraded swithces are displayed there. I have also run several Inventory Collection jobs (Admin | Collection Settings | Inventory | Create | All Devices etc... ) to make sure that CWLMS is up-to-date on the running software.

Any ideas why the User Defined Group shows devices that shouldn't match the version queried? It does however not display all switches or something like that.

Update: the user defined group selects 36 switches but the software summary indicates 69 switches with the old version.

How exactly did you define the group?  Was it created as an automatic group or updated only upon user request?  How are you determining what devices this user-defined group is matching?

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vSNX71HJC4&tracker=False

Shows all the steps that I take. Default options, image version the way that you showed earlier in this thread and still for example marcis2 gets selected even though it is actually running 12-2.55.SE1. CWLMS does know it is running 12-2.55.SE1 as I show from the software summary report shown in the end of the video.

The two features use the same data, though the group interface goes through a database view to get to it.  I wonder if perhaps the view fell out of sync with the main table.  Try restarting Daemon Manager then see if the group syncs up properly.

Ok, did that, no success Exact same situation.

You should open a TAC service request so the database can be analyzed to see why the DS_IMAGE view is not updating properly.  You can click the "Open Service Request" link in the Actions panel of this thread to have the contents of this discussion included in the SR.