HDLC VS eoMPLS /MPLS

daniel45793
Level 1
Level 1

HI 

im learning ccent from the cisco book

i cant understand what the differen betweent HDLC to eoMPLS /MPLS

if someone can explain this 

and if someone can explain to me what they do (i know what they do but perfectly) just so i will understand this 100%

thanks (:

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To start with the simple one: HDLC is a layer 2 protocol used for point to point serial interfaces. It is significant that it is for communication between 2 devices. As the layer 2 protocol it coordinates functions such as clocking on the serial link, and evaluating the received bits and checking to make sure that no bit was lost in transit or changed in transit.

MPLS is for providing communication between multiple devices, or multiple networks. While HDLC operates only at layer 2 MPLS operates at layer 3 and provides routing information to support data sent from one network to other networks.

eoMPLS is intended to provide typical Ethernet services using an MPLS network as its transport.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To start with the simple one: HDLC is a layer 2 protocol used for point to point serial interfaces. It is significant that it is for communication between 2 devices. As the layer 2 protocol it coordinates functions such as clocking on the serial link, and evaluating the received bits and checking to make sure that no bit was lost in transit or changed in transit.

MPLS is for providing communication between multiple devices, or multiple networks. While HDLC operates only at layer 2 MPLS operates at layer 3 and provides routing information to support data sent from one network to other networks.

eoMPLS is intended to provide typical Ethernet services using an MPLS network as its transport.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: