Views
Helpful
Replies

Help installing a new OS on Cisco router

James Intably
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

I recently inherited a Cisco 2620 router, which seems to have been completely flashed/corrupted (see output below), as it can only boot into rommon mode and the "dir" commands all return "bad device name" or some nonsense file name like "y". **The baud rate has been altered to 112500 while testing, normal settings are 9600 

conoutputR12620.PNG

Q1) Firstly, am I interpreting this output correctly?

My plan is to revive this router with a new IOS "c2691-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25c.bin" which looks to be supported by the 2600 series.

I however don't have:

a TFTP server

a USB port on the router

access to the internet (on the 2620)

I do have:

The "c2691-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25c.bin" file on my desktop (Windows 7 PC)

a console connection to the 2620 using a USB-RS232 serial adapter

Netgear N900 connected to a home Ethernet with a free Ethernet port

Looking at the above, my conclusion was to use the xmodem command and manually transfer "c2691-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25c.bin" to the "flash" directory via the serial cable.

Q2) Is xmodem this the best way to revive this router with my available resources?

Finally assuming xmodem is the way to go, I've reviewed the following guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/15085-xmodem-generic.html

Q3) Is there a way to complete step "3)" in the above guide without using hyperterminal (say using putty instead)?

Thanks so much for your help

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You said that you don't have a TFTP server but you have a computer connected to the Internet.

I would suggest to download on your computer TFTP32 (Free) because transfering an IOS through TFTP will be faster than xmodem.

If you need assistance to transfer IOS through TFTP while it's in ROMMON, you can check the related Cisco documentation right here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/12714-76.html.

One you have download tftp tool and IOS, you can connect the router through copper directly to your switch on directly to your computer.

If you really want to go with xmodem, I'm using teraterm program to do all stuff.

Thanks. Hope this help

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You said that you don't have a TFTP server but you have a computer connected to the Internet.

I would suggest to download on your computer TFTP32 (Free) because transfering an IOS through TFTP will be faster than xmodem.

If you need assistance to transfer IOS through TFTP while it's in ROMMON, you can check the related Cisco documentation right here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/12714-76.html.

One you have download tftp tool and IOS, you can connect the router through copper directly to your switch on directly to your computer.

If you really want to go with xmodem, I'm using teraterm program to do all stuff.

Thanks. Hope this help

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

thanks supportlan :)

that's exactly what I've ended up doing, really appreciate the link and feedback.

Gotta love TeraTerm!

nael00001
Level 1
Level 1

You need to configure a TFTP server locally then attach a cross over cable to the router and in rommon mode, you can manually push the TFTP image to the router or vice versa. Simple google search will yield many results on how to recover from ROMMON mode and back into IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/15079-recovery-c2600.html

If you need further need help to recover this, hire me. I can do it in less than 10 minutes and get it up and running.

Thanks for the link, but if I hired you I wouldn't learn anything ;) 

Cheers,

James