cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I prepare myself?

shamika
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently got a job offer at a major tech company as a network engineer. The network at this company is completely automated and network engineers are responsible for writing and maintaning the code that runs the network. Effectively a software engineer who has extensive networking knowledge. I've never had a position like this before, my current role is much more like a traditional network engineer role where I manage the routers and switches directly. I've done a few Python and Bash scripts to automate a few tasks, but I've never done proper enterprise level coding before. I barely even know how to use Gilt. Making the transition is definitely a daunting task. Anyone make a transition like this before that has some advice for me?

3 Replies 3

Hi

What I would  do is to be honest during the intervew and say that I have some knowledge and I am willing to learn and fill the gaps. One mistake some people commit is not say the truth and get yourself in a situation where you can not do the job properly. 

For network admin I believe  is ok getting into a job not knowing deeply like a specific protocol and study after. After all, vendor like cisco have everything quite well documented and you can do Labs, test and learn before put in production. But coding is a whole different thing because it envolves deep knowledge of the language and a lot of  logic. 

If you dont have experience, I dont believe you can fill the gap by watching a youtube vídeo or reading a doc while figure out how to do.

This is why we have different paths and certification tracks i think, many companies are moving to automated networks using new tools. that makes easier to manage networks for admins. but admins need to know the logic of code and thinking pattern should have ability to create and change logics accordingly. in your case, i suggest you to start learning network related coding and logics. as @Flavio Miranda said, you need to be honest in this case and mention you experiance clearly to the company.  because these areas are different paths, you many need proper training/learning before start or you will never gonna complete their expectations or your goals. if you have real confidence about what you are doing, you can start now (but always tell them you are new to this automation tools and logics) and become a future proof engineer good luck

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If both your resume and interview were truthfully accurate, one might presume that company sees something in you worth hiring. So, the question is whether you want to accept the challenge.

Career wise, if you can meet the challenge, I think it would be a worthwhile move.

BTW, I was a software developer, who in my career's twilight worked as a network engineer.  Definitely a bit of a different mindset, such as I wanted to automate "things", which was mostly ignored until the the last couple of years before I retired, then software network projects were lead by network engineers without software development experience beyond taking some quickie programming class.  Hopefully, the company in question have folk who truly know how to develop software solutions.  If so, then likely this could be a great opportunity.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card