cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I track a days worth of total bandwidth usage?

Mark Mattix
Level 2
Level 2

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now... I have setup SNMP with Solarwinds NPM to gauge the bandwidth over a link using the OID,

iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets &

iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets but these seem to only show the current bandwidth utilization at the time of polling the device. I want this information but I also need to know the total amount of bandwidth traversing over a link for an entire day.

I'm trying to gauge the amount of bandwidth used for a server that's continually replicating to a backup server. So I would like to know the amount of data that was transferred for the entire day and also the maximum load amount during that time. Can I setup something like this on a 2960 switch or perhaps create a SPAN port that is linked to a system with bandwidth monitor software?

Thanks for any advice!  -Mark

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Netflow is the best tool for this, assuming you have a router in the path that supports Netflow. (L2 switches and most L3 switches do not but most routers do.)

Given a Netflow-capable device, export the flows to a Netflow server (Solarwinds and Manageengines make licensed ones and one can also use an open source one like ntop). There you can look at total volume of traffic generated from a given source-destination address pair.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: