cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I implement the above requirements for the topology attached?

jackjil
Level 1
Level 1
  1. When R9 transfer the data to R10

It should be go this path

R9->R7->R3->R2->R4->R5->R8->R10 and when its come back
    it use the same reverse route.

2. When R5 transfer the data to R9

R5->R2->R3->R1->R6->R7->R9 and when its come back
    it use the same reverse route.

3. When R7 transfer the data to R5

R7->R3->R2->R5and when its come back
    it use the route.

R5->R4->R6->R7

7 Replies 7

Hello,

post the full running configurations of all participating routers, or better yet, post the GNS3 project file.

Hi

You can achieve this by  using static routes or dynamic routing protocols.  If static routes would be simpler to control to which router to send the packets to. In your case, let´s say you have ip address 9.9.9.9 on R9 and 7.7.7.7 on R7 and 3.3.3.3 on R3 so on and so forth, you need to add routes like this

On R9:

ip route 10.10.10.10 (Router 10) 255.255.255.255 7.7.7.7. With that in place, now R9 kwnos that to reach R10, it needs to sent the packet to R7, which is your next hope.

Now you need to apply the same logic for each router along the way.  And to the same in the opposite direction in order to R10 reply to R9 properly.

As you can see, it is a lot of configuration to do.

Another option you have is enable a Dynamic Routing protocol. Routing protocol like RIP, OSPF, EIGRP or BGP can achieve the same goal and give you more flexbility. However, you need to understand well how to manipulate routes on those protocols.

For example, if you enable OSPF the preferred path would not be the path you want by default becasue it will choose the shortest path and you want to choose the longest path. On this case, you need to play with others parameters.

If you are a beginner and want to learn more, I advise you to build this first with static routes, and then try with some dynamic protocol. You can use RIP first and then OSPF and lastly BGP.

Thanks for reply , what i should do if I want to set a preferred route with ospf and eigrp

This same Q you ask befor and I share lab? Did you check it?

to set the cost right?? but i didnot get it sir

what point dont get it, 
I will make real time lab with you to explain the point I mention before 
please do lab 
R1-10.0.0.0-R2-20.0.0.0-R3-30.0.0.0-R4-40.0.0.0-R1
do this rectangular topology 
I will make R1 use R2 when ping to R4 and R4 use R3 when ping to R1
do lab and write cost of each link in topology 
share here 

@jackjil  long answer short, you need to dig deeply into those protocols. There´s a lot of concepts behind routing manipulating on dynamic protocols.

One alternaty would be create an Area 0 between Router9 and router7 and then create different Areas for differents path and manipulate router with filter-list.

Take a look on this video and it might give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9loRIRZ-9Lw